Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Disclaimer: Everything im about to comment on is first hand experience with the actual part - before/after. No BS opinions. Turned many off the lot cars into street racers.

I bought the Volant 176366 PowerCore CAI for my 2015 sahara as a 4th mod (others being 4" lift kit, 35" tires and re-gear from 3.21 to 4.56) . Heres my impressions:

1. Sound is fantastic. If for anything else this can be a bargain replacement for replacing your stock muffler with an aftermarket growler. the stock muffler is not the restrictive air flow source you are lead to believe.

2. Your gains will be at the upper end of the RPM curve. The slightly increased throttle response gives the illusion of a faster Jeep. I would rather have a jeep that "feels" faster than one then one that slips on a 1/4 mile minutely faster. Its a Jeep not a flippin Corvette!

3. Never in the history of any sanctioned racing sport has a stock airbox EVER been present in a car. They DO make a difference even without a tune. A tune enhances it further obviously.

4. Donaldson built filter is top of the market filtration and quality.

Conclusion: worth it for the sound quality and slightly improved response. Cheaper than a muffler swap and built for longevity.

off topic...the BEST bang for the buck mod (sans S/C and re-gearing) is the Pedal Commander - PERIOD. Its all about throttle response on a sluggish trolling Jeep and this delivers. If you say otherwise, you havent any real world experience wit it and should just shut the hell up ;o)

Hope that helps!
ok... need more info on your experience with the pedal commander!

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok... need more info on your experience with the pedal commander!
Hi....

Its a plug and play device that hooks directly above the go pedal. Basically an interceptor of throttle response signals. Theres no ECM changes or warranty concerns since it can be hidden or unplugged (although getting to the connector requires you to do some serious yoga twists).

Its got 4 main settings - eco, city, sport, race and each one of those has 8 sub settings, so 32 in all. Has a small interface with 2 buttons and automatically turns on and shuts off with the Jeep (HUGE bonus). "Race" mode is actually a little too much response!

The change is instant and VERY noticeable - so much so that I would put it #1 item for a better Jeep driving experience (sans a S/C). They make it for other vehicles as well, just cant name them off the top of my head.

Runs $300 bucks - theres a $20 coupon floating around out there on the web. Yea, its pricey, but worth every penny for a Jeep. With so many crap parts out there, nice to actually have one that delivers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi....

Its a plug and play device that hooks directly above the go pedal. Basically an interceptor of throttle response signals. Theres no ECM changes or warranty concerns since it can be hidden or unplugged (although getting to the connector requires you to do some serious yoga twists).

Its got 4 main settings - eco, city, sport, race and each one of those has 8 sub settings, so 32 in all. Has a small interface with 2 buttons and automatically turns on and shuts off with the Jeep (HUGE bonus). "Race" mode is actually a little too much response!

The change is instant and VERY noticeable - so much so that I would put it #1 item for a better Jeep driving experience (sans a S/C). They make it for other vehicles as well, just cant name them off the top of my head.

Runs $300 bucks - theres a $20 coupon floating around out there on the web. Yea, its pricey, but worth every penny for a Jeep. With so many crap parts out there, nice to actually have one that delivers.
Just to add to this - for those off-roaders concerned about water getting into an aftermarket CAI, the Pedal Commander is a far better option if looking for overall performance. Between a snorkel and CAI, you are paying a lot more for far less "buck bang".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi....

Thanks!
Just ordered one off their website for $40.00 off the $299.00 price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Isn't this the same thing you can do with a Superchips tuner? It has adjustable pedal response and when set to the Superchips recommended setting its night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Isn't this the same thing you can do with a Superchips tuner? It has adjustable pedal response and when set to the Superchips recommended setting its night and day difference.

Several products can snatch the voltage to the DBW and lie about the throttle position.
Pedal Commander...Sprint Booster...

·
Registered
117 Posts

If I had anything but a 15-16 jeep would have gone tuner instead for sure. Being that those model years have encrypted ECUs, didnt want to do the whole ECU swap method. Around $800-900 bucks.

Superchips does the send in and swap method, Diablosport has an option to send you a 2nd ECU so you can keep the original - more expensive but great for warranty repairs/backup. Anything prior to 15 and you can do pretty much whatever you want with unrestricted Tuning.

This seems to be the future tend for the newer cars to keep the tuning happy out of the system - lots of shops around here arent happy about it.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
If you install a CAI don't throw your original intake box, you will need it in the future if you decide to install a snorkel! :p
Yep, in fact that is what I am doing in the next week or so. I'm not getting the snorkel just yet but I am planning it within the year. It is time for a tuneup so I am swapping the stock system back in.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Anybody have opinions on the RedRock or the K&N CAIs?
I can't comment on either system. But what I can tell you there is little to no gain from any of the kits out there except for a nice bump in noise. This is after running one for 40K miles. Yes there was a tiny gain in MPG but it is less than 1 MPG. I am going back to stock.

The reason for this is I am preparing for a snorkel shortly and it was time for a new filter. I love Donaldson filters but they are expensive. Unless you really want the noise or are going to jump to a snorkel just keep the stock system. You can change the air filter every 5000 miles and from a performance point of view your not going to get anything much better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Installed the Rugged Ridge Lo-Rise snorkel a year ago or so, and it acts very well as a true CAI. True low-end torque improvement makes the throttle very responsive. I love it on the street.
Best performance enhancement I've made and well worth the effort and expense.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone just replace the crossover tube? I'd love the great intake growl for kicks. Was considering hacking and closing off the resonators but after looking it over its such a simple tube I could get a 3" aluminum tube and replace. Therefore keeping the stock filter box and opening up the crossover (the stock pinches down in the middle) and getting some more growl.

Anyone else try? I'll post if I try

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK, I did it. Crossover tube replaced with 3" aluminum tube. Deleted resonators so it has a little more growl now, no drone on the highway.
This was an easy $30 mod. I get: more growl, deleted resonators, larger smoother air pipe, stock air intake box, stock filtering (or aftermarket flat options), stock water protection, stock air temps, can still add snorkel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You also eliminated the water traps in the factory crossover tube when you replaced it. Take care when swamping.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts