Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
The restriction in ALL gasoline engines is the throttle body butterfly. You can have the best NASA designed wizbang "CAI" and the restriction at the throttle body will remain at all conditions other than wide open throttle. In which the butterfly thottlebody is open and restriction could be more or less than the air filter.

MPG doesn't come from cold air. First; the air is not cold :whacky: its just closer to ambient air temp only if the vehicle is moving at xx speeds. Otherwise the "cai" is sucking in the engine / hood air that typically warmer than ambient. Warmer air is less dense of oxygen. ECU adjust for the less dense air by opening the throttle body wider. This provides less restriction and MPG improves. "hot" air improves MPG not cold.

Notice your winter MPG is less than summer? Even in the summer with the AC kicking on high.

Many eco mpg seekers will route a hose to draft air from near the exhaust.

YMMV. issues like towing a heavy load in the mountains could benefit from "cai".

Its really just a sound improver and a slight bump at full throttle. A multi-million dollar company that desperately needs every EPA MPG it can get isn't going to leave much room for improvements. They have maximized: mpg, epa, power, and NVH. You may gain a little in one area at the expense of another.

all of that said- I want a BANKS "cai". Knowing full well that its just for some sound gain on acceleration.:pc-ouch:

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
The restriction in ALL gasoline engines is the throttle body butterfly. You can have the best NASA designed wizbang "CAI" and the restriction at the throttle body will remain at all conditions other than wide open throttle. In which the butterfly thottlebody is open and restriction could be more or less than the air filter.

MPG doesn't come from cold air. First; the air is not cold :whacky: its just closer to ambient air temp only if the vehicle is moving at xx speeds. Otherwise the "cai" is sucking in the engine / hood air that typically warmer than ambient. Warmer air is less dense of oxygen. ECU adjust for the less dense air by opening the throttle body wider. This provides less restriction and MPG improves. "hot" air improves MPG not cold.

Notice your winter MPG is less than summer? Even in the summer with the AC kicking on high.

Many eco mpg seekers will route a hose to draft air from near the exhaust.

YMMV. issues like towing a heavy load in the mountains could benefit from "cai".

Its really just a sound improver and a slight bump at full throttle. A multi-million dollar company that desperately needs every EPA MPG it can get isn't going to leave much room for improvements. They have maximized: mpg, epa, power, and NVH. You may gain a little in one area at the expense of another.

all of that said- I want a BANKS "cai". Knowing full well that its just for some sound gain on acceleration.:pc-ouch:
On a Jeep you are correct. And other than a snorkel there is no true CAI available. You are also correct that the best we can do is ambient air with a true CAI. I watch my IAT on a everyday bases. If I am in stop and go traffic it will climb to better 160 degrees. With a true CAI this would not happen.

Also power is dependent on air temp. IAT determines just how much timing gets pulled. If you don't have full timing you are not making full power.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Having run both the lo-rise and hi-rise RR snorkel, I can say the only gains are when running without the AC growling away.
I feel more low-end torque with the throttle open as stated above. More fun on the street!
With the full snorkel on you can experience a ram-air effect when coming around a corner into a head wind. I had a ram-air in the bumper of an '02 Corvette which was a bang-for-your-buck install.
You might do better with a Pedal Commander for performance to pick up the slack in our fly-by-wire throttle "linkage".

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Having run both the lo-rise and hi-rise RR snorkel, I can say the only gains are when running without the AC growling away.
I feel more low-end torque with the throttle open as stated above. More fun on the street!
With the full snorkel on you can experience a ram-air effect when coming around a corner into a head wind. I had a ram-air in the bumper of an '02 Corvette which was a bang-for-your-buck install.
You might do better with a Pedal Commander for performance to pick up the slack in our fly-by-wire throttle "linkage".
This again comes done to temp. I forget who post it but by the time IAT hit 90 degrees or something like that all timing is pulled, something like 4-6 degrees. This is of course if I am remembering correctly. And if outside temps are hot there is nothing to be gained.

·
Registered
118 Posts
timing is only pulled if the cylinders are detonation. Under light acceleration timing wouldn't need to be pulled with hot intake air temps. Under a load, such as towning or large brozoder tires, then maybe the timing would be pulled back.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
timing is only pulled if the cylinders are detonation. Under light acceleration timing wouldn't need to be pulled with hot intake air temps. Under a load, such as towning or large brozoder tires, then maybe the timing would be pulled back.
Timing is pulled based on IAT. Think of temps being the same things as altitude, the air gets thinner so timing is pulled and and fuel is reduced. Timing is also pulled based on detonation. If I remember correctly up to 2 degrees more.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I will say this about the mopar cai kit, its very noisy at highway speeds, my yearly drive to FL, at the constant speed of 78-82mph with the cruise on, its annoyingly loud, I will be putting the air box on for long trips, I was thinking I was just getting old, but, if there was a V8 exhaust note it wouldn't be that bad,

did drive my 68 camaro with a BBC and 4:10 gears up the east coast many years ago,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely top quality and it's made in the USA (at least mine was). I love it!

They run about $320 new, what price are you getting it for?

Oh, and it sounds really good to.
Hello, that consolidate me to install this CAI MOPAR in mine !:happyyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was getting pinging, when going uphill in summer in particular. And I live in The Blue Mountains... Found out by monitoring that the inlet temp was getting to 15-25C over ambient, so hitting 50-60C in summer.

Installed an AEV snorkel, (with prefilter head, not ram). Inlet is now typically 5C over ambient and a LOT less pinging. Only very rare now.

·
Commercial Member
60 Posts
Rugged Ridge Snorkel Install

I got a Rugged Ridge snorkel for Christmas.

First off, what a bear to install!

Now that it's all on, I drove from Kissimmee, Fla to Hilton Head, SC and back in one day (picking up a trailer) and I noticed that instead of the 13.6-13.8 MPG I got on the highway, I was getting 15.6-16.9 runnin g about 73 MPH going up there.
I was low 15's on the way back due to the trailer, but even so, more than I was doing pre-snorkel.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was getting pinging, when going uphill in summer in particular. And I live in The Blue Mountains... Found out by monitoring that the inlet temp was getting to 15-25C over ambient, so hitting 50-60C in summer.

Installed an AEV snorkel, (with prefilter head, not ram). Inlet is now typically 5C over ambient and a LOT less pinging. Only very rare now.
Another good reason to get a snorkel in Australia.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Complete off subject. Great looking Jeep love the black accents just enough (RobertPwills).

I picked up a RedRock CAI I love the sound...so that makes me happy. LOL I may have noticed a bit more torque...Nothing recognizable for the MPG. I am running at about 12.6 LOL.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks. I could never decide on a 'supplemental color' for it so I just went with black.
I'm not sure what other color would go well with dune. Olive Drab maybe?
I am still trying. I have tank colored Jeep and almost everything is color matched bumpers, top, fenders, light brackets etc...Then black is the other colors.

It is starting to look a little to military for me, I am thinking of throwing some yellow color in it.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I installed the Airraid cold air intake and I was very pleased with it, good sound under pull, great fit and finish with an easy installation. Seems to ride more easily now that it can breathe as well
I installed this one as well shortly after I got my JKU as a local online retailer had a good deal on it. Figured I’d get a little better mileage, better under hood sound, blistering acceleration on the butt dyno and something to keep me occupied for a half hour installing it since I like to keep busy.

Overall I like it for what it is but there are a couple of items people should be aware of:

1) Your stock lower air box will have the intake snorkel cut out of it and attached to the new Airaid air box. It will not be easily re-usable if you want to reinstall your stock air box. You could reinstall without the snorkel if you like but that would drop the air entry point a few inches.

2). Your fuse box will not open all the way. Will only open maybe 1/3 of what it used to with the stock air box. This because the Airaid air box is so large that it prevents the lid from opening completely. It will be tough to replace fuses without pulling the fuse box lid completely off. I haven’t tried to pop it out of the hinges but hopefully it will come off without breaking.

I don’t mind mine but these are things you should consider if you are looking at this intake.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts