Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
CAI is pointless for a Jeep. It won't give you any extra HP. A snorkel is even worse. It will lower your HP.

Reactions: Kaio

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed a K&N series 77 CAI in my 2015 JK. No improvement in HP or performance. So for $300 I changed the sound. Definitely not worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also installed the K&N 77 and I do notice a slightly deeper sound to the engine; nothing in the way of performance. For those removing the stock intake, please be careful with the section connected to the crankcase vent tube....I yanked it out from the back of the engine by accident and it was NOT fun getting it back on. Take your time and be gentle. Im sure this goes without saying, but its nice to hear a reminder once and a while.

Reactions: Guadzilla

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know. I installed the Airaid CAI after already having their TB spacer I got dirt cheap as open box deal somewhere. Same with the CAI actually ha! Anyhow, I had been measuring my MPG over time and after making the swap, I stopped following my mileage as closely and decided to just drive normal without looking at my guage every 2 seconds. After about a year, I happened to go into my dash menu to see current MPG and was a solid 2MPG better to where I had been. Only other change I did was replace my radiator about 3 months ago. Maybe its snake oil, but who cares. Was relatively cheap, gave me something do do and even if minimal gains, its something.

·
Registered
307 Posts
CAI is pointless for a Jeep. It won't give you any extra HP. A snorkel is even worse. It will lower your HP.
Snorkel worked well for me with intake temps lowered from 15+ over ambient to ~5C over ambient, leading to no more pinging when driving uphill.
Didn't want more power, just to get rid of the pinging.

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
Snorkel worked well for me with intake temps lowered from 15+ over ambient to ~5C over ambient, leading to no more pinging when driving uphill.
Didn't want more power, just to get rid of the pinging.
A snorkel is probably the only true "cold air intake" you can get for a Jeep. I just don't like the look. The only one I could see doing is the shorty snorkel that puts the intake just above the cowl.
M0J0 hasn't been around in six months. Not sure why he thinks a snorkel will lower your hp. But to each their own.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,203 Posts
Its about the most expensive (horsepower to horsepower) modification you can do. Most of the nice kits run about $300 and gain an average net of 3hp ($100 per hp gain). Most supercharger kits and turbo kits for the 3.6l motor are about $60 per horsepower gain (100hp gain with many kits at $6,000).

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
484 Posts
I am not advocating a CAI. But jeep has on the "build your jeep" page for the new JL a CAI option. Just more money for a new jeep. I look at it this way.....want a faster vehicle..... don't buy a brick!

·
Premium Member
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
A true CAI which is not available for our Jeeps other than a snorkel in my mind was never about making it faster and it was all about making more efficient. Jeep did a very good job with the intake system, other vehicle I have owned not so much. Example would be my wifes 2005 Mustang and my 2006 Corvette. Both had very poor intake systems and power was to be had just changing intake systems. In addition having ambient air entering the intake insure the most possible timing available is available and that will build more power.

·
Registered
478 Posts
First they are not CAI, they are short rams. If you want to true CAI for a Jeep you need a snorkel setup. Second if you are concerned about your warranty don't do it.

For everyone else here is my experience with the Volant Power Core intake setup. I chose this system for one reason only, the Donaldson Power Core filter. I have used these filter for the last 8 years on my Corvette and Duramax and they are just great. Flows and protects better than stock.

The Volant system is very well built. Installation is straight forward. The IAT sensor is moved up slightly from stock which should translate to reduced heat soaking. I don't have a before and after measurement so it is only a deduction on my part. The opening to the filter is much larger than stock. It is located in the front upper area of the box but well protected from water and debris. It is lower than stock though you probably lose a few inches of fording capability. About the only thing I don't like is the is the chrome top cover.

In normal operation intake noise is no louder than stock. If you jump on it you can hear it but coming from big V8's and big turbo diesels it is nothing to write home about. I ran it a few hundred miles to allow the computer to recalibrate before I started taking measurements. Since then I have ran 2 full tanks before writing this.

Power, if it increase or decreased my butt-dyno is unable to detect it. Not that I really expected anything to be honest. MPG, very surprised here. My daily drive is 10 miles one way and takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Lots of stop and go with maybe 5 minutes of steady state driving. I have good records of the last year, 14.5 winter fuel mileage and 15.9 summer time mileage. This is DD results not highway. Anyway first 2 full tanks, 15.9. I have never had winter fuel above 15 let alone almost 16.

So the question has been answered, for me this is a good mod. Nor am I done with it, I plan to modify this air box to accept the Rugged Ridge Snorkel later this year.

I removed my CAI and went back to stock.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts