Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to post here instead of keeping this limited to my build thread (as I don't seem to get a lot of traffic there) but I am trying to decide if I should keep the carpet in my jeep, or remove it, I am ultimately planing to try and find the front seats out of a JKU and install those (I don't use the rear bench as I have given that entire area to my fur babies and seeing as the rear seat is rather tight on the 2 door.....yea....makes the fold and tumble driver seat useless to me...

anyways my question is what would you guys and gals suggest, I know this is ultimately up to me, but I do occasionally ride around with my fur children in the back, and plan to remove the driver fold and tumble seat, should I keep my carpet or just remove it? I do like to ride in the summer with the windows down and sides off and if and when able top open. is Keeping the carpet really worth it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I occasionally bring my 70lb boxer with me in the Jeep. She sheds (and slobbers) like crazy. I'am just programmed to have my stuff clean at all times. So after every ride I have to clean an vaccum all the interior after. I would imagine if you are the same as me when it comes to keeping your Jeep clean. And / or you have your dogs ride with you a lot more than I do. Removing the carpet would be the best thing to do as it would make cleaning a whole lot easier. Dog hair can be pretty stubborn to get out of the carpets.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Take the carpet out, run the Jeep without for a few weeks and see if you like it. If you are OK with it, leave it out. If you miss the carpet, put it back in.

I personally would not remove mine simply because I think the floors are ugly, the carpet provides a heat barrier, and it covers wiring that runs to the back of the Jeep.

If I spent more time off-road or was tracking mud into the Jeep and ruining the carpet, I would consider replacing the carpet with bed liner material or bedtread.

I think it’s a pretty personal decision and highly dependent on your usage of the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the jeep as a daily driver, and a dog carrier, as for looks I am a function over looks type person, as for the "ugly floors" meh doesn't bother me, the original jeeps had no carpet same principle here I suppose, well at least to me, as for heat barrier, worst case I would take the jeep tub off the frame and just spray the under side with a truck bed liner or something similar to provide that heat barrier if required (or thermal insulation material) if needed....

I am looking at it from the dog hair cleaning perspective and the enjoyment of keeping the sides and doors open/off all summer....

How difficult is the removal process?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Very easy to remove. There are a couple plastic retainers on studs welded to the tub under the dash and under the seats. Other than that it is simply a matter of pulling the carpet out from under the center console and trim pieces and pulling it out. It’s actually easier on a JKU than a JK because of the way the front seat mounts are configured, but that actually matters more when putting the carpet back in. I had to loosen the mounting bolts to get the carpet tucked back under the seat rails on my daughter’s JK.

The JK tub has areas on the floor that looks like they ran a continuous bead of weld over a rectangular area. That’s what I was referring to as the floor being ugly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a two door and I removed my carpet. As others have said it is very easy to remove. I took mine out because I was going off road a good bit at the time. Also my old top had a leak and I did not want my wet carpet to rot out my floor.

For me the carpet looks a lot nicer and provides heat and noise insulation. I thought about spray in liner until I saw "Bed Tred" mentioned above. Although I have not got it yet I plan to invest in Bed Tred eventually. It looks nice, is easy to clean and easy to remove while still providing heat and sound insulation.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14051_900X_PG.htm

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not entirely concerned about wields being exposed, I mean if I was I wouldn't have any vehicles, or any bikes or any thing made of metals so yea.....but I get what you mean however. As stated this is all a matter of perspective...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I removed the carpet from 2017 sport, 2 door,soft top 2 months after I bought it. From May to October doors off and sun shade covering front and back. Have rubber mats in front and a large one in back with a large dog bed over that with another folded up and jammed in behind the seats. You I can hardly see the floor. Very easy to clean out the dog hair from 90 pound yellow lab. I don’t notice cold, heat or extra noise with out carpet. It’s your Jeep have it fit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I am leaning more towards removal of the carpet (never cared for carpeting in my vehicles anyway)

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
I had a ‘15 jk. All my carpets came out to dry out. Blame it on the weather man or unpredictable weather... Later on I got my lab/border collie mix dog. Made for easier clean up when I bothered. Yeah I know.... Carpet went back in when I traded that Jeep in for my current ‘17 jku big bear. Call me a slow learner as I got soaked again. Only his time most of the wetness was in the cargo area & rear seat/floor. Left the front carpets in. Again makes for easier clean up of dog hair. I don’t plan to re-install those carpets. I didn’t really notice more heat or noise. Both of my Jeeps have been soft tips...only way to go IMO...so noise is expected. Like others said pull ‘me out & re-install if you don’t like it. It’s super easy as Jeep designed them for that purpose I looked at bed tread as well but it’s pricey. Not to mention I like the anchors for the floor mats Tho I did find NoGaBiker’s thread on transferring those anchors to bed tread

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
IMO, having had carpet, BedTred, and now back to carpet. If you're going to take the carpet out and replace it have it Line-X'd. I personally didn't like the fit of the BT so I trashed it. If I could figure out how to get the console completely out of my '15 JK I'd get it lined (posted similar desire in another thread).

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might poke around tomorrow to see how easy it is to remove the carpet and deside from there if i want to do so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I might poke around tomorrow to see how easy it is to remove the carpet and deside from there if i want to do so.
If you have a two door it takes about 10 or 15 minutes and I am pretty sure the only thing you have to remove is a few plastic retainers and the back seat.

I found out because I got caught in a huge rain storm a half an hour from home. I had driven to the next town over to meet someone and sell them my top. Everything in the jeep including the carpet and of course me got completely soaked. So as soon as the rain stopped I pulled the carpet and the plugs in the floor so everything could dry out.

This video shows a JKU but a 2 door is the same in the front and easier in the back because the back seat is easy to remove:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have a two door it takes about 10 or 15 minutes and I am pretty sure the only thing you have to remove is a few plastic retainers and the back seat.

I found out because I got caught in a huge rain storm a half an hour from home. I had driven to the next town over to meet someone and sell them my top. Everything in the jeep including the carpet and of course me got completely soaked. So as soon as the rain stopped I pulled the carpet and the plugs in the floor so everything could dry out.

Edit: I just read you post again and saw that you have a JKU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ827K9Dr0Y
Negative Ghost rider, mine is a 2 door JK, so the video looks to be what I wanted.

Wow....this looks simpler then I thought........holy.......let the fun commence!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now I guess the question is once I remove it, should I keep it or sell it or just trash? I am the type of person who does believe in the whole recycle what I can and allow someone who needs what ever it is (in this case the carpet) the opportunity to use it if they are needing it, as I hate when things like this just wind up in a land fill....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just out of curiosity (not really wanting to make a new thread for this question as it is kind of pertaining to the carpet removal anyways)

I can remove the 4 front bolts to the seats, however the rear bolts are near impossible to get my impact to so I can break them free and i'm having a difficult time locating my 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar....any suggestions on getting the back side bolts out so I can remove the seats (want to get up under them and really clean the Jeep out) however I will say after removing the Passenger Front carpet piece it was pretty clean as is.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
just out of curiosity (not really wanting to make a new thread for this question as it is kind of pertaining to the carpet removal anyways)

I can remove the 4 front bolts to the seats, however the rear bolts are near impossible to get my impact to so I can break them free and i'm having a difficult time locating my 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar....any suggestions on getting the back side bolts out so I can remove the seats (want to get up under them and really clean the Jeep out) however I will say after removing the Passenger Front carpet piece it was pretty clean as is.....
If you are referring to the front seats you do not need to unbolt them at all. There are just two places that you need to rip the carpet. The carpet is already cut almost all the way in these areas you can literally just rip it with your hands. I think it is made that way on purpose. The video that I linked in my last post shows what I am talking about and how easy it is to do. I know tons of people that have removed their carpet either permanently or temporarily and none of them unbolted or removed the seats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts