Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a great older TJ with a 4.0 that is still a peppy little rig. Just bought a JK with a 3.8 and love it BUT am a little disappointed in the power. Towing a small cargo trailer it’s something of a dog.

Husband talked to another Jeep owner who chipped with a Bully Dog programmer chip and liked the performance results and said they also got a mileage increase.

My mechanic friend said not to expect much in the way of power if we use a programmer chip but the mileage might increase. ?

2011 JK Manual transmission.

Any advice out there?

Thanks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...
So I’ crawled under and looked at the differential for a tag....found stamped in numbers...is that what I’m looking for?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,676 Posts
Re-gearing will give you the best added performance. If you are going to stay with the current tire size, then re-gearing to a 4.10 ratio, will increase your wranglers over all performance. It will also help with your towing..FYI

·
Registered
821 Posts
Next question...can you replace the gears alone or do you have to do the whole rear end?
You will need to replace only the Gears and what ever gaskets . You will need to do both front and back if a 4x4 . With the Gearing you have now (3:21) it needs help . The tire size you have really need a regear to 4:10 or even more . This is not a job for the average person it takes a lot of know how to do it right .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will need to replace only the Gears and what ever gaskets . You will need to do both front and back if a 4x4 . With the Gearing you have now (3:21) it needs help . The tire size you have really need a regear to 4:10 or even more . This is not a job for the average person it takes a lot of know how to do it right .

Many thanks... I’ll call th3 dealership first and get an idea of price and then look for respected 4X4 me mechanics in my area....I’m just amazed and how little “go” this has compared to our TJ...but it only had 57000 miles and is in primo condition...so it’s worth the work.

😎🇺🇸 stand up for Betsy Ross

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Many thanks... I’ll call th3 dealership first and get an idea of price and then look for respected 4X4 me mechanics in my area....I’m just amazed and how little “go” this has compared to our TJ...but it only had 57000 miles and is in primo condition...so it’s worth the work.

😎🇺🇸 stand up for Betsy Ross
Please share the quote and your area. In Mass I'm getting 1900-2400 complete quotes. Some are reporting 1200ish depending on area.... I'm Jelly

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree. A computer tuner will make no noticeable difference in performance. Gearing down will make a very noticeable difference in performance. Just look at the big picture. Are you going to stay with 33 inch tires forever or do you think you may install 35's next? If you think you may go up to 35's, I'd go ahead and install 4.88 gears.

·
Registered
520 Posts
While you're doing gears its a great time to think about lockers, too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts