Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THAT is the question...
I've acquired a shimmy and it's time for my stock steering stabilizer to go. I've got a 4" suspension lift and thinking about going to a dual SS, but not sure if it's necessary or even worth the cost. Plus I seem to be finding different arrangements for the shocks?
whatcha think? :deadhorse:?
 

·
Knows a couple things...
Joined
·
49,119 Posts
Don't install dual steering dampers on your TJ. They are not needed, and they just make the power steering pump have to work harder. On a hot day and twisty trail, that could actually overheat your steering system. An overheated steering system can make your steering much harder, and maybe even make it boil over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I see. Hadn't heard of that potential badness. I spend 90% of my time on the highway, the other 10% off road in construction sites.

Guess the simple answer is the right answer. Get rid of the old one and replace with a new version of the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,897 Posts
It's a step in the right direction, but the RIGHT answer is to figure out what's causing the shimmy before trying to hide it with a steering damper.

Thrown wheel weights, unevenly worn tires, and loose tie rod ends are common culprits.
 

·
Knows a couple things...
Joined
·
49,119 Posts
Ah, I see. Hadn't heard of that potential badness. I spend 90% of my time on the highway, the other 10% off road in construction sites.

Guess the simple answer is the right answer. Get rid of the old one and replace with a new version of the same?
Yep, not to mention a shimmy is nearly always (99.99%) caused by a bad tire or simply a bad tire balance.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top