Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2400 miles into my '10 JK's life and she already has a nice windshield crack from a rock chip. :banghead:

Rock chip (they're a fact of life up here) sprouted a single crack in the lower driver's side corner of the windshield over my smog sticker that I didn't see until it was too late. Currently at about 4 inches in length. Glass shop said they couldn't do much to repair it, but sealed the end of the main crack to at least stop the bleeding. Anyone's guess how long it will hold.

Insurance doesn't cover it under my deductible, so they'll do $300 cash for a new windshield with 1-year chip protection, which isn't terrible for Alaska.

Go for it now, or wait? How fast is the crack likely to expand?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Change insurance carriers. $0 ded. on comp is a must have in my book...... Ask me why... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Wyoming and my windshield looks like Swiss cheese I say replace it when you can't see out of it I have a 2010 rubicon and I am waiting till spring to replace way to much gravel on the roads up here to worry about it

·
Registered
116 Posts
windshield

I had it happen at 900 miles. If you get that swing in outside temperature, I would get it replaced. At least you get a one year warranty.:crash:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my first chip the day after I bought mine... only 175KM! It was a truck just off an oil lease just full of stuff. Sure wish the lawmakers would pass a law to have rock skirts on trucks to try and save our windshields instead of passing laws to ban eating a cheeseburger while driving. :mad:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lol I got my first crack at 2,500 miles right in the upper passenger corner. It was the day I lifted it and put 33's on it...got home and my dad told me "if you didn't ruin that rig with a lift you never woulda got that chip!"

26,000 miles now and still haven't fixed it!

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Wow, my insurance company covers chip repairs for free.
I carry a $50 deductible on my comprehensive coverage, this covers windshields.

You SHOULD have it fixed. It's not just aesthetics, you could get a ticket for it and it's a bit of a safety issue as well.

I'm on my second windshield, this one has a chip repair in it.

You might check into lowering the deductible on your comprehensive coverage. It pays off in the long run, believe me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i'm in connecticut and we have free glass coverage on our policy.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I watched a star chip run from the middle of my windshield, in both directions, all the way across in about 4 seconds once. (Yup, that's right!) All I did was turn on the defroster while I was driving to work in winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the state of Ky its law, the insurance companys has to take the full tab on front glass repacements and they cannt up your rate for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Two years, original glass still there, no chips. Knock on plastic. Since the OP lives in Alaska, there is the cold over the winter to consider. Can an effective glass change be done without too much trouble? Here they show up and replace it in the parking lot while you are at work. In Alaska, during the winter how do you get a replacement? An indoor operation? Will you have the time to get it done? Those are the things I would look at. Another consideration is the temperature differential on the inside of the glass as compared to the outside of the glass and its effects on a crack. Being in Alaska would accentuate that difference and maybe cause the crack to bypass the temporary fix? Just some thoughts. Don't know if it may help you to make a decision about doing it now or later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts