Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to the Jeep thing and my 4wd isn't working right now. It worked when I bought it but the light was on. I replaced the switch on the transfer case and now it's not working properly. Im thinking that something has to be wrong with the vac lines somewhere.

Should I just replace the vac lines or put in the posi loc system? Also should I but the kit for 100+ or just make one myself?

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
That vac fix is a gem. You can do the blockoff plate and upgraded shafts if you want to go all thew y (as I'm doing) but even the cheap/free mod is an improvement.

Denis

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Someone else posted those results and it was 1 MPG less after the mod. The big drawback is the front shaft spins all the time and they weren't balanced from the factory. So on the downside you might have to get the shaft baalanced at your local shop. But youy won't have that moment on the hill you don't want to slide down backwards and figure out your still in 2H.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have mine locked over but cant attest to mpg's as it is something I had to do right off the bat with my new to me YJ. Its a simple fix but I will eventually go with a PosiLoc style system to keep the driveshaft from spinning. I also did the Cherokee/TJ transfer case switch mod (look at top for sticky) to show me when the transfer case is engaged. Thats about $20 for new parts so I have less than $22 in swapping the system over.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I decided to stay stock with mine, although the other vac fixes are cheap and easy. I got the pre-assembled vac harness from Morris 4X4 and decided to also replace the transfer case switch and vac. actuator. It now works like new. Not cheap though. If you're going to do anything with the vac lines I would just get the harness. Once you touch the old lines they just start to come apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ended up doing the mod and it's working great. I just took it all apart switched the fork over put the clamps back on and put washers on it. I haven't had any problems with vibration like others have had and so far haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage. It sucks gas and always will.

The real problem now is what to do next

1 - 9 of 9 Posts