Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2013 weangler unlimited and it was a hardtop. Obviously living in the desert that is Nevada I prefer a softtop. Is it worth keeping for security reasons and road trips? I have very limited space and would probably need to wrap it in something to keep it protected. But I think selling and using that money for a lift and tires would be better.

?
How much is a brand new hardtop worth? Selling on Craigslist and forums
How hard are these to remove & how many people does it take?

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Infantrytim said:
I would love yours. Ill even trade you bud and pay shipping
Sounds like a good deal. Since it doesn't offer a significant amount more insulation, the biggest benefit is to support snow, which you don't have. I'd trade it or sell it

·
Registered
284 Posts
Keeeeeep it!!! Put a couple eye screws in the ceiling, back the jeep in, and hoist the hard top up with ratchet straps. $10 job. Get a bikini top or make yourself a mesh shade and lose the soft top.

$0.02 type thing right there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I sold it on both of ours. I got enough money out of his to buy a soft top off Craigslist, the 3" teraflex lift, and the Mickey Thompson mtz's. if memory servers I paid out of pocket about $400 to add rims to that and Harley was ready and waiting for lift install the week he returned from deployment.

I didn't do as well on mine, but I cut a deal for another military member so that was my doing.

Note: we live in Tucson so same situation on the climate. We've got the top down nearly year round so a hard top was just a waste of space for us. Spydershade on the other hand, invaluable.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Keeeeeep it!!! Put a couple eye screws in the ceiling, back the jeep in, and hoist the hard top up with ratchet straps. $10 job. Get a bikini top or make yourself a mesh shade and lose the soft top.

$0.02 type thing right there.
I agree keep it. You can get a hoist to pull it up to the ceiling and get it out of the way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone.

About getting straps and a hoist; like posted above I have limited space I rent and do not have a garage. I would literally have to wrap the hard top and leave it outside. An like snochick said I can get my lift it tires .. Which to me is no brainer because I can't wait to get my 4 door of its training wheels! Lol

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That's why I said what I did. We live in old base housing with no garage. So it sounds like you're in the same situation as us in living situation and type of weather u get. Made for some fun shopping for the Jeeps.

Living in the desert though I highly recommend checking out spyderwebshade.com. Other people sell em cheaper. But that little beauty is the best investment u can ever make on a jeep in the desert. I've got twin red headed daughters with fair skin that ride in our back seats. Not one sunburn all year. It blocks some of the wind too making it not quite so cold in the Morning driving to work in the winter.

That's one nice thing about the desert, top can be down nearly all year long. But like right now, we threw them up yesterday bc it looks like rain. I love the freedom I feel being able to throw it back down after the rain is over though. And then getting mad at myself for all the mud I'm likely to throw inside. >.>

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Thanks for the great info Sno! These look great for those hot days while trailing In the desert!
Btw love the gecko!! They didn't have one in stock when I bought mine... :-( lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Definitely keep it....if nothing more than the value it adds when you sell it. It's money for security on road trips, and idk about you, but for me in Ohio, the insulation is hands down better than the soft top.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Much depends on where you live in Nevada. If in Vegas, I'd keep it for security reasons. If I lived out in Beatty, Rachel, Caliente, Warm Springs, etc. I'd run a soft top exclusively.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I live in summerlin but the way I see it if someone wants something in your car they are going to take it weather it's glass or plastic..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well I live in summerlin but the way I see it if someone wants something in your car they are going to take it weather it's glass or plastic..

Pretty much. Fact is even with a hard top, it's not exactly challenging to break into a Jeep. Hard top gives a false sense of security. If they want it, they're gonna take it. At least with the soft top thieves just unzip my windows. (The mean ones use a knife, but windows are easy to replace.)

With the hard top, it required paint and repair work b/c they weren't nearly as nice to the Jeep breaking into it. I speak from experience on the TJ for that part as I had that one in England for 3 years. Sadly having your vehicle broken into over there is a pretty common occurrence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts