Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my new special order rubicon. Drove it home from the dealer and the ride was so pleasant that I now starting to question whether I want to mess with it.

My previous jku rode on teraflex 2.5 with adjustable fox shocks and teraflex control arms. The rubicon rides phenomenally. Question is, do i now want to mess with the suspension or leave it as is. Needless to say, mopar 2 inch lift is already in my garage as I picked up the sick Athens deal from amazon.

Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think this is an easy question, do you plan to add 35s or other after market parts or travel places that necessitate the lift and stronger springs? If yes than open the kit and start wrenching, if not than return or sell the kit.

You know you want to lift and mod, we all do.

Enjoy the new Rubicon!!!

2015 JKUR

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
If you plan to add bumpers, winch, and skid armor or any subset of these the ride will degrade and a lift will fix it.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
383 Posts
Stress is created when your conciseness attempts to override your primal urge to lift!

More lift = less stress!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've had a few JKs before that I lifted with quality suspension systems. But stock suspension always seems to ride and drive better, so with this JK, a 2017 Rubicon Recon, I decided not to mess with the suspension. The suspension is completely stock, and I lifted just the fender flares instead of the lifting the whole Jeep, and put 35s on. I'm very happy with the combination of Mopar high top fender flares, 35s, and stock suspension. This is the best handling, best driving JK I've owned. I think you can get away with that with a two door like mine. If yours is a two door as well there is no need to lift it. A four door needs a lift to work well off road though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd give it a lift. I don't think you'll be happy with a Rubi without a lift. You'll always be having lift envy out on the roads and trails.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It sounds like you are enjoying your new Jeep much more than previous ones. If you're not in need of larger tires for more ground clearance, I don't see the need to lift.
I'm with MOPWR2U- should I need more tire, I'll use Mopar high tops, to keep geometry stock. So far, I haven't been limited by ground clearance in my off-road adventures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed with all!!! Knowing myself, my urge to mod is def kicking in. For now I am focusing on cosmetics. Teraflex carrier went in, tow hitch, led interior bulbs, side markers, and tail lights are on the way.. my current thinking is drive for a few months see how things go. Closer to Black Friday, I may find some smoking deals on the wheels and tires I want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been having the same argument in my own head, to lift or not to lift. I have a 2016 JKU Willys Wheeler. I think they look so much better with a 3.5 inch lift and 35's.

shane

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I actually prefer the ride of my Rubi with the mopar lift compared to stock. Shocks I think made the difference. They just feel tighter. And with 35s at 30psi it is not bone jarring at all on the rough roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually prefer the ride of my Rubi with the mopar lift compared to stock. Shocks I think made the difference. They just feel tighter. And with 35s at 30psi it is not bone jarring at all on the rough roads.

I replaced steering stabilizer with fox performance series and that made a huge difference in terms of the steering walk on rough surfaces. Has anyone replaced/installed fox shocks with stock springs?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I replaced steering stabilizer with fox performance series and that made a huge difference in terms of the steering walk on rough surfaces. Has anyone replaced/installed fox shocks with stock springs?

Nice. I actually ran that setup for one day. Had my lift and felt like getting it done in stages. So I did shocks first. That's when I first noticed the difference between stock and the fox shocks. I think (this is my opinion of course) that they were just the right amount of increase in firmness. I think low speed compression (like when going around a curve there was less body roll) seemed firmer but high speed compression (hitting bumps) still felt like it was soft enough. I think they would be a good upgrade even for stock suspension.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I am no expert with shocks because I had my Fox Resis put on the same time as my lift, but won't there be a problem putting longer travel shocks on a non-lifted Jeep?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I've had a few JKs before that I lifted with quality suspension systems. But stock suspension always seems to ride and drive better, so with this JK, a 2017 Rubicon Recon, I decided not to mess with the suspension. The suspension is completely stock, and I lifted just the fender flares instead of the lifting the whole Jeep, and put 35s on. I'm very happy with the combination of Mopar high top fender flares, 35s, and stock suspension. This is the best handling, best driving JK I've owned. I think you can get away with that with a two door like mine. If yours is a two door as well there is no need to lift it. A four door needs a lift to work well off road though.

Pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 High Altitude Diesel
218 Posts
Exactly the same thing I was thinking when I got my hard rock.
I said to myself I am not going to mod this one. Been there done that.

As time went on I grew to hate the factory rake. Decided on a TF level puck kit.
With that keeping the the stock components and ride.

Then I grew to hate the mushy ride of the stock shocks. I prefer a firm stable ride. Installed a set s Falcon 3.3s. Love the ride now.

Now thats it. Minor mods keeping it mostly stock at near stock ride height.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For your viewing pleasure... :awesome:
Great looking Jeep! Like the interior. :thumb:

Have been having the same question as to lift/not lift as I wait for my Jeep to arrive. Have taken the tack of what do I want it to accomplish and what appearance do I want. That has slowed me down for the interim ~ but I know as soon as it arrives I'll want to press forward. :lmao:

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Looks great. When I picked up my 2017, I immediately put my old Warn Winch on it which of course made the rake even more severe. Then a chance to upgrade to 35's came at too low of a price for me to refuse. So tomorrow I have a set of KO2's arriving. I'm strongly considering a set of Mopar high top fenders to keep my great OEM ride. Then if I don't like it, I can always grab a MC lift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts