Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first JK, in reading up on what mods to make and what not to make I am going to follow the advise of many who say enjoy it stock for a bit and then make mods.

With that though, living in Fl. and the nearest off road adventure being over 45 mins away is the lift worth it? How much does it impact the MPGs and if I do lift do I need to get bigger than 17' wheels?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kind of gearing do you have on your jeep ? If you lift your jeep bigger tires make it look better (in my opinion) and if you do follow that route then be aware that your gearing my not be on par. That could mean most cost than expected. As well as with that gas mileage may go down because of higher rpm for lower gears at same speeds as before but I don't know that for sure. I drive a it 6" lift and 33" tires, it's great in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think its worth it, even if never going off road. To me it just looks better.
You won't need larger wheels, I actually got rid of the stock 18's and bought 17's.
But you will want new wheels with the correct backspacing or the stock wheels with spacers, and larger tires. Its the tires that will look too small with a lift.

Another way to get the lift look without the actual lift is to get flat fenders.

But I really like having the 2.5" lift, even just as a daily driver.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Take it off-pavement a few times and have fun with it. The more you do that the better idea you'll have of what you want to do to modify it. You may even decide that you like it just fine as is (for now).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just got my first JK, in reading up on what mods to make and what not to make I am going to follow the advise of many who say enjoy it stock for a bit and then make mods.

With that though, living in Fl. and the nearest off road adventure being over 45 mins away is the lift worth it? How much does it impact the MPGs and if I do lift do I need to get bigger than 17' wheels?
Even just a leveling kit or a 1" lift makes the jeep look much better. Throw on some 33s and i think you have a great looking rig that still is close to stock in terms of driveability.

What kind of gearing do you have on your jeep ? If you lift your jeep bigger tires make it look better (in my opinion) and if you do follow that route then be aware that your gearing my not be on par. That could mean most cost than expected. As well as with that gas mileage may go down because of higher rpm for lower gears at same speeds as before but I don't know that for sure. I drive a it 6" lift and 33" tires, it's great in my opinion.
6" of lift with 33s??? I need to see a picture of that. 6" of lift will fit 40s. Hell, you can fit 33s on a stock jeep....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Even just a leveling kit or a 1" lift makes the jeep look much better. Throw on some 33s and i think you have a great looking rig that still is close to stock in terms of driveability.
Agreed. At a minimum I would do a leveling kit.

6" of lift with 33s??? I need to see a picture of that. 6" of lift will fit 40s. Hell, you can fit 33s on a stock jeep....
I am assuming that he has some Jeep other than a JK, like a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You lift to fit larger tires.
If you're not increasing diameter, you don't need to lift.

·
Retired Moderator
100,683 Posts
6" of lift and 33's...... Alrighty.:)

Stock Jeep. Go 1" puck on the front 33's and some 1.25"-1.50" spacers and you'll have a nice looking great driving rig.
1031161533dJ5 (1) jjjjjjjjj.jpg

^^^Click on the PIC to enlarge it.
Mine has a 1" TF puck in the front. Running 33's on a 9"wheel Rim width, with 4.5 Back Spacing.

It handles every bit as good as it did when it was stock. The Nitto Ridge Grapper's ride much smoother and are very quiet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought the same thing. I dont think I've seen a 6" lift....let alone one with 33's.

Anyhow, yes on the lift and tires. Like response above, even if you dont take it off road, it just looks right imo.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mine has 2/1 Teraflex level kit with 34" tires, fender flares. I'm very happy. Yes....you will lose mpg. I knew when I bought and accepted it. I went from 18.2 to 15.2 according to my gauge, which isnt accurate. Just got AEV calibrator, we'll see how it changes. I'm happy regardless.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you get flat fenders and mode your front bumper by changing or cutting the ends off you can fit 34s.

With less wheel backspacing and or wheel spacers you can add width.

I did 305/70r17 with all these mods. It is 33.8"x12.2" on a 17" rim. Did all these mods. No lift. I love the way it drives. Nice wide stance and 3" lift from the tire size. Better drive than stock 29s by far. Sooooo stable.

Shops push lifts for bigger than 32s. It is nonsense. Not a fan of cheap lifts. They wear out suspension parts and if they dont drive like crap they seem to eventually and owners upgrade. Then there are the safety issues with lifting.

When I went from 29s to 34s the shifting up was noy a big deal. Maybe if I gunned it into overdrive.

The big difference was the down shifting. It was not happening when I went from 29s the 34s. The auto transmission felt like it was in neutral when braking and slowing. When I tuned it for 34s the braking action and deceleration was quite noticeable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. I like the 1" lift idea and flat fenders. I have to take care of a pesky check engine light for some coolant but after that the mod list gets built.

Im glad spacers were mentioned I was curious why and when to use them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A lift is a must, even a modest one. If your JK is indeed a two door, I'd recommend picking up some JKU Rubicon Springs and Shocks aka Take Offs, add some 33s with 1.5" spacers and you'll have a rough and ready looking JK! Oh yeah, don't forget to throw a 1" leveling puck in front, and maybe 1/2" in the back to prevent the dreaded rake.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
35s, no lift

Definitely no need to lift for 33s, unless you're just in a hurry to screw up your Jeep.
Great looking Jeep. However, your Recon already comes with a mild lift and you have hi-top fender flares. Most 2dr JKs with stock suspension and 35s don't have near that much clearance.

It also depends on the intended use. This is my old JKU with a 2" lift in the front, disconnected, flexed, and munching the inner fender with 285/75/16s (33s).

Also, done correctly, a lift doesn't "screw up" the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts