Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Wrangler X w/ 6spd trans. I'm going to put a 4in lift and run 33"s. Should I re-gear or will the stock gears be fine. And if I do re-gear, what gears should I go with? I'm thinking along the lines of 4.11s. And final question (for now), if I need to re-gear, do I need to change or modify anything in the transfer case or anything, or is that a simple switch? :confused:

I have the tools and ability to change the gears myself.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
you only have to change the gears. and the speedometer pinion in the TC.

which gears does your TJ have? if it has 3.07 geras i would change to 4.11. if it has the 3.73 gears i wouldn´t do that. only to 4.56 or 4.88 with 35" tires.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what the gears are and I'm not quite sure how to find out either.

33x12.5 mud terrains on 17x9 rims are what I've had in mind.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,067 Posts
Having run 33" tires after regearing to 4.10, I learned that combination is a mistake. It "works" for 33" tires if you already had 4.10 but if you're regearing anyway, regear to 4.56 which is a MUCH better combination for both the highway and offroading. Those who feel 4.10 is ok for 33" tires either hasn't run it themselves and/or have never driven a TJ with 33" tires and 4.56. :)

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
my dealer told me that 4.56 is the best for the 4spd auto tranny and 4.11 is the best for the 6spd manual tranny.
is that right?

i have the 3.73 gears and will regear to 4.88 when i inslatt some 35" tires in the future.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is why I said I have the 6spd manual tranny. I'm not worried about the highway speeds because I have the 6th gear, but I am worried about killing the torque w/ the taller tires. Is the re-gear a must? and if I go to 4.56 what kind of problem might I expect?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Take a look to see what gears and axles you have.To tell what gears you have take a look at the metal tag on the diff it will say 3.07,3.73 or 4.11 if you have a 4cyl or rubi. If you have a rubi you will have a dana 44 front and back. If you have a 4cyl or X you will have a d30 in the front and d35 in back. Now the sport and sahara will have a dana 30 in front and in back a d35 or d44. To tell if you have a d35 or 44 take a look at the fill plug if it is metal it's a d44 if it's rubber it's a d35.:D

edit:I see you have a x so you have the d30 and d35 take a look to see what gears you have.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,067 Posts
Is the re-gear a must? and if I go to 4.56 what kind of problem might I expect?
Nothing is a must but if you install 33" tires without regearing, you'll regret the poor performance pretty darned quickly. No problems whatsoever with 4.56, why would you think 4.56 would cause a problem with 33" tires? That's a perfect all-around ratio for that size tire. Heck Jeep ships the Rubicon with 31" tires and 4.11 so just to have the same factory set performance as the Rubicon does, you'll need 4.56 for 33" tires. :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just concerned about the spacing in the gear housing. I've done gear in my Cobra, but that was this extreme. I have the plastic plug in the back, the metal plug in the front. I know the tag you're talking about but I couldn't find it, so I still don't know the gears.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
33x12.5 mud terrains on 17x9 rims are what I've had in mind.
Can I ask why 17" wheels? You could save quite a bones with 16" wheels or even more with a 15" wheel. But for 33" tires, a 15" wheel is best as you are able to have the most sidewall on the tire for the trails.

i'd go 4.56 or 4.88. but if you plan on wheeling then i'd install a super 35 while your at it.
A "Super 35" is an axle upgrade kit for Dana35 axles. It consists of a higher spline count axle shaft that has been made with hardend chomoloy. It might not be necisary for the Dana35 as most see it as a weak axle and not worth the money.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just lift it and see how it drives. Then go from there. It's not like you have to re-gear when u lift it. And if you do re-gear, go at least 4.56, as going to 4.10's wouldn't be a big enough difference and you'll wind up doing it twice in the long run. IMO

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm in the same predicament, I have an 05, 6 spd, with 4" lift and 33's and I run stock gears for now. I think if you have an x, you most likely have 3.07 gearing, which isn't great, but even with 33's i have decent holeshot, and can run 70 - 75 down the road. After you lift it and add the tires, decide if you can wait to regear, and then begin to plan on an axle swap to dana 44's, they're stronger, and if out of a rubicon have 4.11 gearing I believe, and compatiable hardware for an easy swap.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
u have 3.07's and can go well w/ 33's???

maybe i can run 35's and 3.73's without regearing, at least for 6 months while i save up

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

maybe i can run 35's and 3.73's without regearing, at least for 6 months while i save up
1BLKJP runs 35's with 3.73 gears I think.:D

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
well then that saves about 1 grand right there!!

lets see what other mods can i use that $$ for, im set for the rest of the day now, off to look at all my jeep catalogues

·
Registered
529 Posts

Yup, I do have a I6, and a 6spd man. and my jeep is not a vette, but it does decent, and I don't want to be misleading cuz I do plan to upgrade axles and gears down the road, but I'm content with it as is, plus I can do 70 - 75 which is as fast as I want to go with 4 inches of lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts