Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Sell or No Sell

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question of a lifetime. As you can see in the pictures, there are some problems with my Jeep. I would like to think I could fix it all but I am not sure the time or the monetary commitment. I've had it for almost four years now and have loved every second. I have done all my own work, including the lift (that one was hell). Mechanically, it is sound. Cosmetically....well take a look.

I know it would take frame work, body work, and so on.

Maybe too much a semi-knowledgeable 19 year old can pull off?
Haha thoughts?

If I do keep it I want to put a Ford 8.8 on the rear and jump up to 33in tires.
I would also plan to get a membership to GR Makers or Geek Group which provides access to metal working and variety of other tools (including MIG and Stick Welders) Here is the link to the sites in case you want to read up on them!!

www.grmakers.com
The Geek Group – We build awesome

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm with Stan, chuck the tub and get a new one, or sell it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
There is only one thing for a semi-knowledgeable 19 yr old to do...
sell to a semi-unknowledgeable 18 yr old.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is only one thing for a semi-knowledgeable 19 yr old to do...
sell to a semi-unknowledgeable 18 yr old.

:winner: Haha love this. But yeah, I was leaning towards selling as well. I have someone willing to pay $3000 and, at this point, I think I would be happy with that.

Shouldn't have bought that BDS lift :facepalm:

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is an age old question that will be asked to the end of time. There is no right answer for everyone. If you want a machine to bang around on the trails, where is the harm in keeping it. Just don't do anything you can't swap to your new rig if or when you choose to do so.
There is also the financial consideration. If you can afford a cleaner one and want to upgrade now, then go for it, but will that strap you and prevent you from doing some upgrades that may be more important now.
I would not spend any time or money trying to rescue the body but frame fixes are pretty cheap and you could get a couple more years out of her

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
$3K?
Take it.
When my 72 CJ got to the point that the tub rusted through like that I sold it and used the money to start flight school.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just finished a complete rebuild that like the one you would need to do, replaced tub, frame, added 8.8 and tons of other things. So, I would say go for it... but, I'd also have to say that it took a year and total investment of $10,000. I don't know if you are going to school, but I know it would have been impossible for me to even start the project if I was going to school.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You know it will get you from A to point B. Its in michigan which has such road salt saturated roads that summer rain causes road salt residue on a whip. Fix the frame, be sure the tub mounts are solid and keep driving it.

I have contemplated selling my heap several times but in the end it is easy and cheap to fix and still serves the purpose of durable reliable and economical transportation.

Plus its a jeep

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update for anyone that wanted to know what I decided.

I actually have a Daily Driver already and the Jeep just sits right now. I came very close to selling it but have decided I'm going to make it my project Jeep. I'd like to learn how to fabricate and such so I am going to!! No time limit as of now. But id like to do the 8.8 and increase the body and frame to just about LJ dimensions.

Cheers to a new build that may or may not never be completed!! It'll be fun to learn!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
id like to do the 8.8 and increase the body and frame to just about LJ dimensions.
wow!!! Now that's a project I would like to see, don't want to discourage at all but that sounds like one hell of a project! How will you get a top to fit? Gl I hope you have a plan!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For the LJ/ Scrambler idea please use a top that makes the thing look like a truck/scrambler, it would be sweet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts