Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an honest question so I am hoping for some thoughtful responses.

There is a chance I will be accepting a position that is 50 from my home. I currently drive 10 miles a day in a 2015 JK Sahara. I have had it a year, it has 22k miles an I have not had one issue...literally not even a rattle.

If I drive 100+ miles a day do I sell the Jeep and buy another vehicle (likely Lexus) or just drive it?

As a follow up, so many people talk about changing differential fluid and transfer case fluid every 15k or 30k but the manual does not mention this? Other brands also recommend changing brake fluid every 30k and there is no mention in the manual of this either.

For context - I love the Jeep and how it drives. I am getting increased pressure from family members with regard to driving a "safe" highway vehicle if I have to drive so much on the interstate. Keeping the Jeep and another car is not an option for many reasons - mainly space.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Only you know how important the Jeep is to the rest of your life, but 5 gallons of gas per day just going to work and back will be unpleasant when gas prices go back up to $5 a gallon.

On the side note, if you get the full manual from Chrysler, either through the website or by calling, free, it has the full maintenance schedule in the back. All laid out on inconvenient 2" by 4" pages. Anyone have a link to a more friendly formatting?

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
Do you want to keep the Jeep? Is your concern adding too many miles, fuel costs, or what?

If so, and your concern is that you don't want to put too many miles on it, have you considered buying a used Toyota Yaris to spread the commuting miles with it?

It will cost you thousands of dollars to trade in your JK and buy a Lexus anyway. Something to think about.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I will not be able to rock a Yaris in this role. I can get away with the Jeep because it comes across as eccentric.

I think it comes down to safety, long term reliability and service. If I do not have much time I can just grab a loaner Lexus when it is being serviced. The Jeep dealer is not very accomodating.

I will probably just drive the Jeep, I do love it.

What about the brake fluid? I just realized I can change the differential and transfer case fluid in an hour.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Safety wise you will be fine. The issue is, 100 miles per day is a good amount of driving. I would probably get something more comfortable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Buy a beater and keep the Jeep. I drive a two door cobalt to and from work each day. Great gas mileage, and I keep the miles off the Jeep. You could pick up a used commuter car relatively cheap. Since you are looking at trading the Jeep for a Lexus, it sounds like you can afford it...:D.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I will pose my answer in question form.... You are about to spend MORE time driving, would you like to be in the Vehicle you profess to Love or something of lesser enjoyment for 2+ hours a day, every day?

:) for the record, I've been there and I made the mistake of selling my Rubicon and buying an FjCruiser and then a Corolla.
Thank God I came back to my senses and now I drive a Jeep 100 miles a day again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I commute 45 minutes one way (if there's no traffic) approx 35 miles into the city. The jeep makes the ride fun, watching the suited up rat racers in their beemers and thinking how I would like to just drive over them....of course I didn't buy for a "luxury" ride and gas money adds up a little (luckily only $1.99 today), but I do love watching the other guys at the office drool over the jeep!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a round trip of 70 miles daily in Boston. I have about 35 min in the morning commute and upwards of 1 1/2 hrs in the afternoon. I wouldn't worry about the safety aspect and we don't buy Jeeps to save on fuel to begin with. If you love the Jeep, keep the Jeep. Maintain it and it will be fine for years to come.

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
You brought up 100 miles a day. Is it a concern for safety, for comfort, for fuel economy, or putting too many miles on it?

Where does your Jeep dealer not being very accommodating come into play? I'd imagine you will drive by a few other Jeep dealers over those 50 miles.

You also keep bringing up a Lexus...is it that you will be expected at your new job to pull in a generic, non-descript sedan?

Sorry, I am still not clear why you are thinking of selling the Jeep. If I truly loved my Jeep I wouldn't be thinking of getting rid of it until (1) I got the job and, (2) I gave the commute a shot for a few weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Who said the Jeep isn't safe and what is the basis for their opinion? I drive a Rubicon 100 miles per day commuting, I'm not sure what the issue is. If you like the jeep and can afford to drive it, go for it. I doubt the commuting costs for a Lexus will be significantly less than the Jeep.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good questions - thanks all. I think I will just keep the Jeep. Maybe I am thinking I love it now, but after 100 miles everyday for awhile will that get old? But, some of the comments along the lines of wait and see sound reasonable.

I keep saying Lexus because I had a Lexus for the past many years, and while it was not what I would call reliable (actually it was not reliable by any definition), the dealership is incredible and dealing with the company itself was always a pleasure.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Buy a beater and keep the Jeep. I drive a two door cobalt to and from work each day. Great gas mileage, and I keep the miles off the Jeep. You could pick up a used commuter car relatively cheap. Since you are looking at trading the Jeep for a Lexus, it sounds like you can afford it...:D.
Cannon: it sounds as if the OP has a need to convey a professional image in this new position. I have assumed some of this type of job responsibilities in the past and have regretted the requirements while not the paycheck. In any case, in hindsight, I would drive what you want. Life is too short to be worried about image most of the time. You could consider renting/leasing a finer vehicle for the times when you can plan on the need and save yourself the anxiety.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I said, I drive 100 miles a day. Been doing it for years, made no mention that I enjoy pain OR discomfort.
I just got back from a 1 week trip 2000 miles. Pa-Stowe Vermont-Southern Delaware and back to Pa - IN my Jeep.
Got up and drove 100 miles to the office yesterday and today.

Feel Great.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Buy the Lexus. The seats are soft and will feel better on your ass after you've kicked it sooo many times for getting rid of your jeep.

Seriously, if you can't have 2 vehicles (you mention space as an issue) then drive it for a while so you have an idea of whether or not you need something more suited for the commute. I have a feeling that if you do the math, you'll love your Jeep even more. If you're not good at math, I hope you're getting a good raise.

*Edit... I see that OP has already decided to drive for a while. This is what I get for working and answering threads at the same time.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Where can I sell a Jeep Wrangler hardtop? It fits Jeep Wranglers YJ 1987-1995. brown with tinted windows. In great condition. Would sell for $800. I'm in Connecticut.

Welcome to WF! But you're in the wrong place..... Winters in CT suck. :) j/k

Also, if you're trying to sell your hardtop go to the Buy, Sell, Trade section or the Regional forum for CT

GLWS

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd consider that you drive some 19k miles on top of your work commute (based on the 10 mi per day, 22k numbers you gave) and that you'd be adding 26000 more to it.

So 45k miles per year

I'd buy a Honda, you'll get killed on resale on either a jeep or a Lexus, and I'd be a little concerned about reliability on a jeep with that many miles.

By the end of '16 you'll have a '15 Jeep with 67k miles on it... That's not something I'd want.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I'd consider that you drive some 19k miles on top of your work commute (based on the 10 mi per day, 22k numbers you gave) and that you'd be adding 26000 more to it.

So 45k miles per year

I'd buy a Honda, you'll get killed on resale on either a jeep or a Lexus, and I'd be a little concerned about reliability on a jeep with that many miles.

By the end of '16 you'll have a '15 Jeep with 67k miles on it... That's not something I'd want.
Yes but ..... How many fingers am I holding up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts