Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating to trim pinch seam and rails. Test fitting some Rubi rails I picked up. Tire is pretty much stuffed. 285/75r17 34's. One inch of clearance. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Debating to trim pinch seam and rails. Test fitting some Rubi rails I picked up. Tire is pretty much stuffed. 285/75r17 34's. One inch of clearance. Thoughts?

do you wheel?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you wheel?

Yes that's why I used jacks to stuff the tire to try and test. I was about .75 from hitting my bumpstop

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes that's why I used jacks to stuff the tire to try and test. I was about .75 from hitting my bumpstop

I would trim. That was an easy project. Blue painters tape. Sawzall, glue for cap. Done in like an hour.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would trim. That was an easy project. Blue painters tape. Sawzall, glue for cap. Done in like an hour.

So I need to do my pinch seam as well then since mine is a 2012 and didn't come pre cut. I'm assuming a straight cut though on the rail so the cap is still usable? About an inch off the rail or?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes I cut mine 1.5 for 35"s. Straight cut , then put back in cap with epoxy. Make sure to drill a new weep hole.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Right on the money^^. I just did this to a set of 4 door rails that I cut down for my 2 door. Just make sure you have a fresh metal blade for the Sawzall.

I used a flapper wheel on my angle grinder to smooth out the cut surface, then use some epoxy touch up paint to coat the bare metal cut. Glued the caps on with black silicon adhesive.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to be clear I have 1.5 inches of clearance with it on the ground. That pic was with the wheel stuffed pretty much and still had 1 inch of clearance. That's why I wasn't sure if I really needed to trim since I'm running 34's or large 33's depending on how you want to look at it. 33.8"

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just to be clear I have 1.5 inches of clearance with it on the ground. That pic was with the wheel stuffed pretty much and still had 1 inch of clearance. That's why I wasn't sure if I really needed to trim since I'm running 34's or large 33's depending on how you want to look at it. 33.8"

personally I would still trim.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I wheeled in Moab with Toyo 35s with the stock rails and had no issues. My buddy who has the enhanced rails also had no issues on his 12. My other buddy with a 14 and stock Rubicon rails had no issues either. I guess I would leave them and see if they rub. I doubt you will. But if you do it won't hurt anything. The rail will keep the punch seam from doing damage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wheeled in Moab with Toyo 35s with the stock rails and had no issues. My buddy who has the enhanced rails also had no issues on his 12. My other buddy with a 14 and stock Rubicon rails had no issues either. I guess I would leave them and see if they rub. I doubt you will. But if you do it won't hurt anything. The rail will keep the punch seam from doing damage.
. Good info , how high are you lifted?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

not totally stuffed but pretty close. If I ran in mud which I don't I would be more inclined to trim them. Also if I were getting airborne which I don't. I think everybody needs to be honest with what they are doing. I go slow as do the people I wheel with and nobody has had issues. Different circumstances might require trimming tho.

·
Registered
367 Posts

not totally stuffed but pretty close. If I ran in mud which I don't I would be more inclined to trim them. Also if I were getting airborne which I don't. I think everybody needs to be honest with what they are doing. I go slow as do the people I wheel with and nobody has had issues. Different circumstances might require trimming tho.
Wow that's close. But if it does not touch, it does not touch. By a mile or a millimeter.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the update. I think I'm gonna skip it for now then. I've had a number of people tell me I'm good. Obviously I'll re-assess down the road if I go up in tire size.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Autoedit on youtube did a pretty good video of trimming pinch seam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts