Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys, Bought my jeep not even 2 weeks ago...

2008 blk sahara jku with hardtop (bone stock)

added;

rough country bumper caps
17' blk xd addicts wrapped with 285/70 falkens
tinted all around
hid headlights n yellow fogs
shorty antenna
tail light armour
plasti dipped bumpers to get rid of the silver sahara pieces
debaged n replaced with matte blk "JK" and "Sahara" logos
Gutter guarded my grill
Gas tank cover
Hood Bra

------furture plans-------------------

front & rear bumpers
2.5 lift

With that being said heres my dilemma, I bought my jeep used and its the paint is definetely not perfect. (Nor do I expect a 5 yr of JEEP to be). I had the Jeep detailed and paint corrected but there are still crazy brush marks, and the occasional scratches. I got a really good deal on a vinyl wrap (matte blk) and was thinking about going this route. Any suggestions?

the wrap is for 1000 bucks OTD, that by far is the lowest quote I was given.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You will get 2 answers here;

1) You will be told to knock yourself out and do it.

2) You will be destroyed for actually wanting an unblemished Jeep, some consider it a badge of honor for the vehicle.

Enjoy for what lies ahead! :)

:popcorn:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't mind the paint all that much...more or less should I change the look from gloss to matte, plus if my paint is beat to hell now can't imagine how it'll look few years down the line.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sounds cool to me. A matte black jeep would be bad ass.

·
Registered
710 Posts
jimnguyen0227 said:
don't mind a destroyed jeep....more or less should I change the look from gloss to matte.
I dig the matte look, go for it. Wish it was a color option

·
Registered
860 Posts
Really your choice of course. Others here have done it (there are threads) and are very happy. Personally, I would never consider it...or a "hood bra", but that's me. I have been driving Wranglers for decades, and when their paint takes a beating, they just look more loved to me. :)

Of course, I chose my latest paint color (white) to hide dirt and scratches...and black does pretty much the opposite.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really your choice of course. Others here have done it (there are threads) and are very happy. Personally, I would never consider it...or a "hood bra", but that's me. I have been driving Wranglers for decades, and when their paint takes a beating, they just look more loved to me. :)

Of course, I chose my latest paint color (white) to hide dirt and scratches...and black does pretty much the opposite.
i like the look with the hood bra, only on a blk jeep for some reason. I think it gives contrast to all the black. By friend has one on his white jk and it doesn't look nearly as good.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Leave it alone it looks mint! Instead spend the money on delicious upgrades!!!! :) good luck!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
jimnguyen0227 said:

added;

tinted all around
shorty antenna
tail light armour
Gutter guarded my grill
Gas tank cover
Hood Bra

front & rear bumpers
2.5 lift

With that being said heres my dilemma, I bought my jeep used and its the paint is definetely not perfect. (Nor do I expect a 5 yr of JEEP to be). I had the Jeep detailed and paint corrected but there are still crazy brush marks, and the occasional scratches. I got a really good deal on a vinyl wrap (matte blk) and was thinking about going this route. Any suggestions?

$1000 its very cheap. DO IT !!!
but u make sure they use right vinyl.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd be scared of catching a branch on.it and it start peeling.. I've never dealt with vynil but that would make me nervous, jeeps arnt meant to be pretty.. just sayin

·
Registered
208 Posts
Neighbor here has a matte black Jeep, looks awesome in person.

·
Registered
2015 JK 2DR
61 Posts

added;

tinted all around
shorty antenna
tail light armour
Gutter guarded my grill
Gas tank cover
Hood Bra

front & rear bumpers
2.5 lift

Instead of plasti-dipping the bumpers, just get a handy Phillips-head screwdriver and remove the silver Sahara pieces. Front has eight easy screws and rear requires you to remove the bumper to unscrew. I'm in no way mechanically inclined and also have no apparatus (jacks, lift, etc.) and removed both in 30 mins.

Sold both pieces as a set on eBay for $300. That'll give you an extra $300 in your pocket and two black bumpers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
All my company vehicles are wrapped. Looks sweet the first few months. After the vinyl starts shrinking from the sun and peeling from water getting under it you'll regret it. Not to mention the first big scrape and it starts peeling there. Hope this helps. Good luck. You'll need it if you ever want to remove it in the future too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Maybe just apply a test area on the grill and see how it holds up?

·
Registered
269 Posts
All my company vehicles are wrapped. Looks sweet the first few months. After the vinyl starts shrinking from the sun and peeling from water getting under it you'll regret it. Not to mention the first big scrape and it starts peeling there. Hope this helps. Good luck. You'll need it if you ever want to remove it in the future too.
This guy speaks the truth. It's cool for a few months but does start to tear away. Don't remember ever seeing water under mine but it did start to peel off. I had it on one of my cars for less than a year. Good thing is it peels off without much fuss. Unless the guy installing hits your paint with a razor in a bunch of places while he is installing it then covers it up with the wrap so you don't see it until it comes off.

You say you had the paint corrected but then say you still had swirls. If you get a good detailer the only things that wont come out are the scratches through the paint. Swirls and light scratches should buff out

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Vinyl wrap peels and tears at the slightest provocation. If a swirl mark in paint bothers you, you will hate vinyl wrap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts