Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first muddin trip is coming up in a couple weeks and wondering if I should wax Jimmy before all the mud.
If so, what's your favorite wax and why?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would on mine. My girl doesn't on hers. I like it because it's easier to clean off the mud and dirt. Her argument is it's a Jeep. It's meant to great dirty haha. I like turtle wax ice. Leaves a nice shine with good water run off. Doesn't cause a white film on black plastic which is a plus. I'm a stickler about washing and waxing. I like to keep it as long as possible without the body rusting out on me.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
good question! Yes, wax it... it will make it a lot easier to clean.

Also, if you get a spray bottle and fill it with baby oil, you can spray a thin coat on everything undernieth. Then, the mud will rinse right off the springs and suspension parts super easy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Wax - fantastic stuff. Easy on, easy off. Not the best out there but really good stuff.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I thought wax would make cleaning after offroading easier. I didn't notice a difference honestly. But then again, there's a lot of clayish type of mud where I go. There's no getting away from having to scrub. It laughs at high-pressure hoses.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You should apply a couple good coats of quality wax at least twice a year regardless of the mud. It helps protect against uv damage and keeps grime from embedding into the paint. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I say yes...but than I am the same type of person that cleans the underside of the Jeep with a bucket and water at the end of summer/ before winter...and touch up the paint underneath at the same time. I live in Northern IN frequent trips to MI and no rust underneath my 9 year old Jeep with 160K ......how long you want to keep it???

·
Registered
768 Posts
I use TR3 resin polish and zymol wax with a quick spray of zymol glaze...worked great on my black car works even better on my white jeep. I don't care if the jeep is shiny or not I just want the protection from uv, bird shit, mud, tar, sap....you name it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Went mudding in limestone in the summer...left it on the jeep for a few days....rookie mistake...soft top never looked the same lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
D2K47 said:
Went mudding in limestone in the summer...left it on the jeep for a few days....rookie mistake...soft top never looked the same lol
I had the same problem til I took it to one of those car wash bays. Couldn't get my soft top clean by hand, couple of sprays with a power washer at mikes express cleaned it up. Top looks brand new again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mequiars is good stuff but I do prefer 3M, I detailed cars for 6 years and found the 3m last the longest and give the deepest wet look. Wax at least twice a year but use a good all purpose cleaner to remove old wax that has built up over the years.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I haven't waxed a single vehicle I have owned in over 35 years.. Wax is just horrible stuff..., Polish is where it's at.. I have been using TR3 Resin Glaze since the mid 70s on everything from 18 wheelers, to VW bugs, to Euro Sedans, to my jeeps. Many may disagree with me, so be it,, but I guarantee that once you try "polish" you'll never go back to that nasty wax stuff...

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I had the same problem til I took it to one of those car wash bays. Couldn't get my soft top clean by hand, couple of sprays with a power washer at mikes express cleaned it up. Top looks brand new again.
The power washer near me must be weak or I'm not getting the nozzle close enough. I remember spraying a hole into my tonneau cover of my pickup I had when I was in the Marines so I may be being too cautious. I've learned to live with the clay stains though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LOL

Well apparently 3M likes Meguiars also - they bought them....:rofl:

Not making fun just laughing at situation.

Mequiars is good stuff but I do prefer 3M, I detailed cars for 6 years and found the 3m last the longest and give the deepest wet look. Wax at least twice a year but use a good all purpose cleaner to remove old wax that has built up over the years.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you can find a local auto body supply store try to find some Battle Shield. Made here in South Florida its a Resin and Zonyl sealant. It lasts for a very long time, creates a great shine and beads water like nobodys business. Never had an issue with bird shiz, or mud staining my paint. BTW I also use this on multimillion dollar yachts that I detail every day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts