Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
throwout bearing just blew up on me so ordering a new clutch, TOB, and flywheel. I probably don't need to replace the flywheel but I figure it's only $56 so might as well. I'm at 135K miles. The clutch and flywheel are LuK, The new TOB is National.

My question is should I also order a new clutch fork and spring? I don't want to have to drop this tranny again for a long time.

Any other thoughts, comments, questions?

Oh yeah, also I have a rear main seal leak and will be replacing that. Any guidance on that job?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
throwout bearing just blew up on me so ordering a new clutch, TOB, and flywheel. I probably don't need to replace the flywheel but I figure it's only $56 so might as well. I'm at 135K miles. The clutch and flywheel are LuK, The new TOB is National.

My question is should I also order a new clutch fork and spring? I don't want to have to drop this tranny again for a long time.

Any other thoughts, comments, questions?

Oh yeah, also I have a rear main seal leak and will be replacing that. Any guidance on that job?
If you order a luk clutch kit, it will come with a very good throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, and alignment tool.

If you have the 4.0l, there is no point in replacing the rms at the same time...in fact it's easier with the transmission installed. If you have the 4 cylinder, the transmission has to be pulled to replace the rms.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you order a luk clutch kit, it will come with a very good throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, and alignment tool.

If you have the 4.0l, there is no point in replacing the rms at the same time...in fact it's easier with the transmission installed. If you have the 4 cylinder, the transmission has to be pulled to replace the rms.

Interesting. I have seen quite a few posts and reviews with people complaining about the Luk TOB... something about getting one with plastic sleeve and only lasting 10K miles.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Interesting. I have seen quite a few posts and reviews with people complaining about the Luk TOB... something about getting one with plastic sleeve and only lasting 10K miles.
The only part of the luk to bearing that is a composite is the non wear sleeve. All wear parts are steel. I have done many many luk clutches without one failure. The ones you have to watch out for are the all cast ones (auto zone et al).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts