Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on leave I've decided to do a bit of work on my jeep today and throughout my leave period as well.

My current plan is to rhino line the entire interior, Replace Oil pump, Replace Oil pan gasket, Replace Radio antenna mount, CJ7 dash panel, replace Blower motor for heat/vent, replace Motor mounts, clean carb and valve cover, replace clutch slave cylinder and entire clutch system, after market headers and exhaust system, bumper with tire carrier

Today I got the carburetor cleaned as well as the valve cover. I got a toothbrush and carb cleaner and engine degreaser and cleaned as much as I could. It was pretty simple. Just took off the air box and started cleaning the carb with the engine running spraying cleaner inside and outside and using a toothbrush to scrape off the grime. It looks great and helped me loosen up the moving parts. The jeep is 20 years old and I've come to the decision after replacing the clutch slave cylinder and entire clutch system, all parts were original from the factory. The clutch feel much different, lighter but I'll bleed it tomorrow. I decided that the carb could use some deep cleaning and so could the valve cover. A cheap engine degreaser helped the valve cover as it had so much oil, dirt, grease, grime, crap all over it. I even started to clean other parts of the engine and it's starting to show. My goal a long time ago was to clean the interior of the engine bay and start working outside in to see any problems. After clearing out the grime I can finally see the other problems. I noticed the valve grommets were hard as plastic and brittle. I replaced them with a brand new grommet and voila!!:flipoff:

tomorrow...some more degreasing and a trip to the local junkyard! I just spoke with a guy that has rubicon diconnects and i should be getting those tomorrow.

I feel very accomplished that most of the work has been done by me. I'm learning alot and not afraid to just jump in. Thought I'd share my experience with everyone else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sweet. I like doing things myself. I clean parts as I go. The shop just throws on the same dirty parts. Sounds like you'll be busy during your break.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Awesome. Congrats on your accomplished repairs. Always a good feeling when you "do-it-yourself".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can see the valve cover as it's clean in the second picture. Both the carb and the cover were covered in so much crap. Using carb cleaner on the carb and the engine degreaser resolved this. wow....it really helped alot. the 3rd pic is just to show the jeep at the barn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts