Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe i have a bad ignition switch and since im going to be under there replacing it i was curious if anybody has put in a toggle switch or push button starter and how hard it would be to do that. i was also curious about what it would take to have one of those keys where you just have to be in the car to be able to turn it on (with the micro chip) and what all i would have to do if that is even possible to do to a 94 YJ.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You can use any switch so long as its correctly power rated. I would say 25+ amps would do it. I have a starter kill switch in my YJ and its 25A, no problems for 5+ years with it.

Instead of tying in a kill switch like mine, you can bypass the starter switch under the dash and use the hot / hot terminals as the "starter switch" instead, your starter solenoid is already grounded so it'll be cake to wire up, and you can get as complicated/simple as you want with the switch, it'll all be wired up the same way, just remember most push-button and keyed starter switches are 25A or more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im new to doing stuff like this so im kinda slow right now. after saying that....i have no clue what you are talking about. what do you mean by bypassing the starter switch? do you mean just dont even deal with the ignition switch?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Lol it's ok I'll try to explain it better. Your starter works by completing a circuit when you turn the ignition key to on. If you want to forget about this (since you're having problems with it), and install one like you mentioned in you post, all you have to do is replace the ignition switch with an aftermarket one like you mentioned. It's all wired up the same way.

Since your starter circuit is already grounded ( "-" ) the switch will control the "+" and will complete the circuit when you push the button / key-on.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Yes, but I would just run 2 new wires direct. If the problem is in the wires, you find out when you get done. :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if you know nothing of wiring what so ever but want to do this yourself then the easiest way to do it without screwing anything up is to get you an inline fuse holder with a 20 or 30 amp fuse,a push button sw rated at 25 or 30 amps and a roll of 12 or 14 gauge wire...all this is heavy duty than you should need but I like heavyduty..hook the inline fuse to your positive battery cable,run a wire from it into your jeep and attach it to your switch..hook another wire to the other side of your switch and run it to your starter solenoid ( to the small wire )....now your starter will turn over anytime you push the button but you will need your key to be turned to the on position in order for it to crank..the ideal fix would be to find the problem and correct it but this will work until you can

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
Run the wires direct to the solenoid?
Yes. The solenoid acts as a gatekeeper to the power wire running from the battery straight to the starter (the big wire youve been jumping). When you energize him wih that button, he lets the big line connect and turn the engine over.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
harleydragon said:
if you know nothing of wiring what so ever but want to do this yourself then the easiest way to do it without screwing anything up is to get you an inline fuse holder with a 20 or 30 amp fuse,a push button sw rated at 25 or 30 amps and a roll of 12 or 14 gauge wire...all this is heavy duty than you should need but I like heavyduty..hook the inline fuse to your positive battery cable,run a wire from it into your jeep and attach it to your switch..hook another wire to the other side of your switch and run it to your starter solenoid ( to the small wire )....now your starter will turn over anytime you push the button but you will need your key to be turned to the on position in order for it to crank..the ideal fix would be to find the problem and correct it but this will work until you can
Yup. Just dont let the switch be lower amperage than the fuse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what harleydragon is saying is a temporary fix....but could i make it a more permanent fix by making the push button a replacement to the broken ignition switch? by taking the wires from the ignition switch and hooking them up to the push button?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
what harleydragon is saying is a temporary fix....but could i make it a more permanent fix by making the push button a replacement to the broken ignition switch? by taking the wires from the ignition switch and hooking them up to the push button?
Why? You will still need a key to unlock the wheel... or do you mean instead of a key? Like a modern ignition?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i would still have to turn the key to the accessories on position and then i would push the button. but instead of running wire to a bunch of different places, couldnt i just take the wires from the ignition switch and use those to wire up the push button?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
It is as permanent as you want, as mr dragon has told us.

If you are intending to completely remove the antitheft ignition installed by Jeep and replace it with an RF ignition chip, get out your wallet. I wouldn't know where to start on that, but it would not be cheap or easy.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
Well i would still have to turn the key to the accessories on position and then i would push the button. but instead of running wire to a bunch of different places, couldnt i just take the wires from the ignition switch and use those to wire up the push button?
The key would still have to be in the ignition, and if it were the wires instead of the switch you'd be back at square 1. For one, the steering wheel lock would have to be removed to accept however they work nows system. Not sure if it is possible or not.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well i would still have to turn the key to the accessories on position and then i would push the button. but instead of running wire to a bunch of different places, couldnt i just take the wires from the ignition switch and use those to wire up the push button?[/QUOT...I was trying to tell you a way so that you did not cut into your factory wiring and cause other problems but sure you could

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think i am confusing you guys and myself. i guess im trying to think if it is possible to basically substitute the ignition switch with the push button. take the wires going to the ignition switch on both sides and attach them to the push button. connect the circuit thru the push button as it is connected thru the ignition switch. and doing it this way i may have to hold the key in the engine on position and then push the button to fire up the engine.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
you could tie into your main power feed wire going to the ignition and then connect the other side of the switch to the start wire after it leaves the switch...you will still need your key in the on position for your ignition to fire

1 - 20 of 57 Posts