Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I installed a Tom Woods (who are amazing btw) rear drive shaft in my Wrangler, I'm getting intermittent vibration now on the rig. I didn't have the vibration before the install but now I do. Here are the details, any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2011, 2D, JK, Sport with around a 2-in lift, 411 gearing, automatic

- Drive shaft was installed and the geometry is right. Upper control arms were installed to get the angle perfect.

- Vibration ONLY happens when decelerating and/or driving between 1-10 mph and around 60+ mph. All other times it doesn't vibrate occasionally and rarely it will vibrate ever so slightly on deceleration around 40 mph. One would assume if the driveshaft isn't balanced that it would vibrate at all times not just at specific times.

- Every once and a while i'll have my foot on the break while driving and not pressing just resting preparing to slow down and I'll feel a very light vibration come from the petal itself...you cannot hear it or feel it in the wheel or the seat.

- I only replaced the rear drive shaft, I have a front drive shaft from Tom Woods and I'm waiting till i diagnose this issue before installing the other one.

- Checked the front ball joints and they do need to be replaced at some point but they are not horrible.

- Checked the tires, not them.

- Checked the rear spare tire and it wasn't that.

- Checked the lower control arms.

- The rear springs have airbags, they are deflated and lowered at this time. One spring is slightly bent (passenger side) and the drivers side is perfect.

- Front passenger axle seal is leaking very slowly - has been for some time and was prior to the shaft being installed.

I've been to three Jeep shops and I continue to get the same answer. "Its normal" and "we can start replacing things until we diagnose what is causing the vibration".

My priority list if i do start replacing things is, rear springs, ball joints, tires, axle seals and much more.

·
Premium Member
9,615 Posts
In all likely hood you have a driveshaft angle problem. If you are having vibrations at low speed and high speed this is normally the sign.

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
I have a Tom Woods drive shaft (front and rear). I had to adjust the pinion angle to make it vibe free. It took a few attempts. It seems that when you are rolling down the highway the jeep changes height and as such the pinion angle changes. So I had to be off from dead straight on the pinion angle. I can't remember which side I had to be off towards.
Make sure the two ends of the shaft are matched up. Having the u joints out of alignment might cause a vibration.
Also, I would call them and see what they say. They seem like good people.
Finally, pull the shaft and drive without it. Make sure the vibration goes away. It might not be the drive shaft. You can drive with the front shaft if you are in 4H.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - Yes that's the plan. Tom Woods has indicated it could be a potential issue with the shaft itself. My pinion angle is perfect 2 degrees I believe and we have sent photos of the angles as well as the shaft itself to Tom Woods they say everything looks perfect.

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
My two cents.
Two degrees sounds like the most you want to have, And it would depend on which way the two degrees is off towards. Ideal is nearer to 0 degrees.
If you have adjustable arms, adjust it a little in one direction and see if the vibration is better or worse. If worse, adjust in the other direction. If adjusting it a little in either direction makes no difference, it isn't a pinion angle issue.
But pulling the DS is another option.

When mine vibrated, apparently due to pinion angle (as adjusting that seemed to resolve it), it was pretty predictable about what speeds vibrated. And the vibration was as much a noise as something you could feel.

Is Woods going to replace it?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Could be a number of things. First, remove the rear driveshaft and drive around for a bit on the front. If the vibration is still there, then the rear shaft is not the problem. If the vibration is gone, then focus on the rear shaft. First, while you have the shaft off, check the nuts in the flanges at the transfer case and the pinion. Loose flanges can cause vibrations. If either of the nuts is loose, put on some fresh red lock tight and torque to spec. Also while the driveshaft is off, check all the joints. If any are loose or sloppy, replace. Worn U joints can cause vibrations. Then make sure that your pinion points upward and is in line with your drive shaft. Use adjustable upper control arms for this. The Jeep needs to be sitting on its wheels at ride height to get this done accurately. Misalignment between the pinion and shaft can cause vibrations. If you’ve done all is this and you still have vibrations, then take the shaft to a shop and have them check to see if it’s imbalanced, has excessive run out, or too much play in the splines. Any of those issues can cause vibrations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts