Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 4.0 with a Teraflex ss sye. I installed it last year. Everything was fine until about a month ago when the speedometer started going in and out. I checked the wiring and the Dakota digital and they seemed fine. The check engine light came on saying that it wasn't getting the speed signal. I pulled the sensor out of the sye and reached in with my finger and could spin the tone ring freely. There was some resistance but I could still spin it with my finger. I am pretty sure that the ring has a dowel that is supposed to hold it in place. That is my suspect. I just wanted to see if anybody else had any experience with something like this or suggestions before I tear into it. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The yoke nut has loosened. If the Teraflex tone ring is keyed then you probably want to remove the tail housing to make sure the key isn't damaged up. If it's not keyed then re-torque the nut. If it comes loose again use red loctite.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I have a 04 4.0 with a Teraflex ss sye. I installed it last year. Everything was fine until about a month ago when the speedometer started going in and out. I checked the wiring and the Dakota digital and they seemed fine. The check engine light came on saying that it wasn't getting the speed signal. I pulled the sensor out of the sye and reached in with my finger and could spin the tone ring freely. There was some resistance but I could still spin it with my finger. I am pretty sure that the ring has a dowel that is supposed to hold it in place. That is my suspect. I just wanted to see if anybody else had any experience with something like this or suggestions before I tear into it. Thanks for any ideas.
It's likely that either the pin that locks the tone ring has broken or the yoke nut has loosened as suggested by freeskier.

It happened to me with my Rubicon transfer case which has a similar setup for its tone ring. The tone ring slightly rotated as I was re-tightening the nut so things weren't lined up and it caused damage so be careful. The pin bent and damaged the tone ring a little so make sure everything is lined up before you tighten the nut.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did check the pinion nut and it was torqued to spec. I should have said that. I was hoping that it was that simple. I should have time to open it up tomorrow to check the pin. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the tail housing today but the tone ring seemed fine. The pin was there and looked normal. No damage anywhere that I could see. I put it back together and the ring felt tight this time. I felt sure that it was moving when I first checked it but now I am doubting myself. When I first started it the speedo was jumping around a little (went to about 20 mph) at idle and the jeep not moving. When I drove the jeep it worked normal for about a mile then the speedo jumped around and quit. Same symptoms as before. Could it be the speed sensor? Can the sensor be tested? Does anyone know the part number for teraflex speed sensor? BTW, I have replaced and rewired the Dakota Digital with no change.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
15,688 Posts
Hall sensors are pretty reliable

More likely harness or harness or connectors in or out of your speedo healer

The harness has a sensor ground a sensor signal and a five volt supply from the pcm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you call teraflex they can help you on how to trouble shoot wether it is speed sensor or wire. the first time i had problem with my teraflex they replaced the wire.
The second time I had problem I replace teraflex with jb ss sye. My Jb wire went bad also. I ordered a replacement one from amazon.
Mopar 5033202AB Speed Sensor

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got it fixed. Speed sensor tested bad so Teraflex sent me another and everything is back to normal for the moment. Teraflex was very good to work with and also very helpful. I wish that I would have checked that first but I thought the likelihood of it going bad was low. I'll know better next time.

Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts