Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jeep peeps. I have listened to your advice with my last post about the 4 cylinder vs the 6. And I continued on the hunt for my first Jeep from there.

Scouring Ads for hours per day, test-driving, negotiating and just being more patient than I ever thought I was capable especially considering I need a car yesterday.

I finally yet again had my mind made up on this really nice 06 X with a lift, nice beefy tires, and a few other cool mods like lights and an aftermarket bumper with 92k miles on it for 13k as an agreed out the door price. (tax, title fees etc incl.) And tomorrow AM I was planning to go out and finally buy.

Then for the **** of it, I browse thru the listings one more time and found and absolute diamond in the rough. Bordering the too good to be true line. Which is why I need to pounce asap before it disappears, which I know it will. Fast. its 3k under book value and 3-5k less than the closest listing. And the thing is mint. Guy said he's just trying to get out from under what he owes the bank. My gut tells me this is a solid chance, but I still want to be as smart as possible. But I need to get on this as quick as possible too. Which is where I need your help..

The thing is the Jeep is 4 hours away from me. I can't convince my mechanic friend to come look with me, its just too far. And it's too far to get it back here to the shop I go to. So my only option to snatch this up is to go and look as best I can myself. And I know a few things to look for, but not a whole ton.

Anyone know of a good guide or something that would provide a check-list of things or something that a relatively keen eyed average person could use to safely scout major issues himself ?

Any advice on guiding me through inspecting this vehicle as best I can on my own would be sooo very much appreciated. Any sort of advice on the specifics of what and where to inspect, any tips you can think of at all..

Thanks !!!! :drinks:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Jeep peeps. I have listened to your advice with my last post about the 4 cylinder vs the 6. And I continued on the hunt for my first Jeep from there. Scouring Ads for hours per day, test-driving, negotiating and just being more patient than I ever thought I was capable especially considering I need a car yesterday. I finally yet again had my mind made up on this really nice 06 X with a lift, nice beefy tires, and a few other cool mods like lights and an aftermarket bumper with 92k miles on it for 13k as an agreed out the door price. (tax, title fees etc incl.) And tomorrow AM I was planning to go out and finally buy. Then for the **** of it, I browse thru the listings one more time and found and absolute diamond in the rough. Bordering the too good to be true line. Which is why I need to pounce asap before it disappears, which I know it will. Fast. its 3k under book value and 3-5k less than the closest listing. And the thing is mint. Guy said he's just trying to get out from under what he owes the bank. My gut tells me this is a solid chance, but I still want to be as smart as possible. But I need to get on this as quick as possible too. Which is where I need your help.. The thing is the Jeep is 4 hours away from me. I can't convince my mechanic friend to come look with me, its just too far. And it's too far to get it back here to the shop I go to. So my only option to snatch this up is to go and look as best I can myself. And I know a few things to look for, but not a whole ton. Anyone know of a good guide or something that would provide a check-list of things or something that a relatively keen eyed average person could use to safely scout major issues himself ? Any advice on guiding me through inspecting this vehicle as best I can on my own would be sooo very much appreciated. Any sort of advice on the specifics of what and where to inspect, any tips you can think of at all.. Thanks !!!! :drinks:
If it's a hard top look at it from inside it's easy to see if it been repaired. Look for rust on the rocker panels. Do the bump test make sure shocks are good. Look for leaks good luck man if something sounds wrong it usually is don't look at car in the NITE time make sure it's nice and bright

·
Registered
514 Posts
agree to meet at a garage that you pick nearby his house and pay the mechanic for a inspection.. first off if its crap he will get scared and run.. if its legit he will have no problem you might be out a take of gas and fifty bucks but better than getting stuck with a money pit.. anything he finds wrong you can bargain with a little bit.. tell him you pay for the part i will do the work..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look really well at the frame. I bought a wrangler and they covered up the holes in the frame near the rear with heat tape then under coated it so I couldn't tell. I get it home and go to put on 500 dollar rock guards and steps, my bit goes right through the frame which he also filled it with foam. I would love to kill this guy but it is buyer beware so poke around the frame very well. Cuz now I'm buying a rear frame and welding it on.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
Cuz now I'm buying a rear frame and welding it on.
After you finish, take the old frame back to the seller's house and "deposit" it in his flower bed, garden, on top of his mailbox, or at least in his front yard in the middle of the night. He will know why.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another point of view...if it is really below book value, you have some theoretical cash in your pocket to put a little money into it. Brakes, shocks, suspension bushings, and driveshaft bearings could be originals / worn and in need of replacement. None of these things are expensive DIY projects. Depending where this Jeep has lived, rust may or may not be an issue. Like said earlier, if you see a fresh undercoat job then walk away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts