Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 00 TJ with the 2.5. It has a six inch skyjacker and 35x12.50s. I mud bog it pretty regularly but a friend of mine brought to my attention the other day that I should probably stop because the engine isn't strong enough to deal with the abuse. Anyone second this or does anyone do the same thing with the same engine and not have problems? I've only had it a few months so I'm new to the jeep world

·
Registered
435 Posts
My guess is that it has been regeared. I have a 2.5 with 31.50 and haven't regeared it yet and it is real gutless. I could imagine if I had 35s on it. I don't see it doing any damage to the motor unless you are over reving it or something like that to try and get the power to the ground. I would think it would be harder on the rest of the drive train.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Did you upgrade or replace the D35 rear?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never over rev. But it's always in four low off road I can tell the rear has been tapped into but the guy I bought it from didn't mention gears. I haven't got stuck yet or felt any strain and this is also my daily driver. It's a little slow but overall drives like anything else

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
You can't regear the 2.5L SE TJ low enough for 35" tires and its rear Dana 35c isn't strong enough for 35" tires. That rear Dana 35c axle, specifically one of its axle shafts, is living on borrowed time with that big of a tire. I'd regear to 4.88 and trade those 35" tires for some 33's which some Jeeper would jump at. The 2.5L SE TJ performs well with 33" tires once its axles are regeared to 4.88. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I beg to differ, in my college shop classes we had to build a buggy to see who could pull the most. our engine size was limited to 200 cc. one guy took one and had it capable of pulling 6 tons on 32" tires. he custom cut a transmission for it and took the rear end from a 3/4 ton truck. it can be done. I promise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know much about it yet just feeling it out. It's a different world from the lifted diesel I just come out of. But I know as of right now it drives like any other vehicle. It's not hesitant. Accelerates normal. Does great offroad. I have no intentions of pulling anything with it and I think that's the only thing I'd stay away from. Assuming I am on the stock Dana rear.. Is it not that tough or something?

·
Registered
372 Posts
That 2.5 is practically indestructible. I have run one without oil in it for hours during the Florida summer with not so much as a hiccup. You can beat on them and beat on them and they just keep taking it. If you are worried about killing that engine, just start building a small block or find a diesel to swap in when its done.

·
Registered
191 Posts
With the 35's no problem and for the Dana 35 if your not a lead foot when it comes to hills you will be good I run 2.5l DNA 35 4.88 gears and 35's and no problem at all

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome. And no we're I'm always easy on it. I might give it a little juice in the mud once every week or so but on a regular basis I don't dog it. Like I said I haven't been in it long but I have yet to see any issues or reasons to believe the engine/power train combination isn't capable of handling my 35s and 17s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts