Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing with my 04 w/RE 4.5" Short arm kit and found a stretch of trail to really cross it up. Got out to see how things were fitting and noticed my spring seemingly very close to dropping off the bump stop.

I don't know if the shock was fully extended and if it might limit any further travel. You can see in the picture the tire was still on the ground, not dangling yet. I don't have any sort of limiting straps at this point.

You guys think its close enough to warrant a strap?

Jeep - Album on Imgur

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
You need to pull the springs, and run everything to full bump, droop, and side to side and bumpstop accordingly. That way you will know if your shocks are fully extended/collapsed and if you have any other interference issues (ie track bar and diff or track bar and gas tank skid)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You are missing your bump stop cups and jounce bumpers. I don't think the spring will slide past the bump stop cups if they were installed, and as said above, your bump stops are obviously not set up to properly limit your up travel. This can destroy your shocks or dent up your fenders depending on what limits your up travel right now since your bump stops aren't doing it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are missing your bump stop cups and jounce bumpers. I don't think the spring will slide past the bump stop cups if they were installed, and as said above, your bump stops are obviously not set up to properly limit your up travel. This can destroy your shocks or dent up your fenders depending on what limits your up travel right now since your bump stops aren't doing it.
You're totally right. Now I remember my kits from days past that the cup and stop was retained. I wonder if PO took it off at some point - it had a small spacer lift and 31"s when I bought it.

Thanks for calling that out!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
If your springs are knocking around at full droop, then your shocks are too long. Or your springs are too short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts