Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Embarrassed but hoping this helps someone else. Did my oil change on 2014 2 door and as I did the whole oil up, run engine, wait, check dance I apparently became impatient/used to my TJ (always took full 6qts). Ended up adding an entire 6qts. Well a week later I check my oil and it's about an inch into the cable. So I know I'm slightly over - I'd guess a quarter quart maybe.

What I need to better understand - is this harmful? I know waaaay too much oil is dangerous. But is such a smaller amount? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Actually, the 3.6 Pentastar does take 6 quarts of oil. Take a look at the owners manual, that is what is specified. Every time I do an oil change, I pour in 6 quarts.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, right. But that assumes you can extract 100% of your old oil which isn't the case.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
There should not be enough oil left in the engine to really make much of a difference. I would not worry about having that little bit of extra oil in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Embarrassed but hoping this helps someone else. Did my oil change on 2014 2 door and as I did the whole oil up, run engine, wait, check dance I apparently became impatient/used to my TJ (always took full 6qts). Ended up adding an entire 6qts. Well a week later I check my oil and it's about an inch into the cable. So I know I'm slightly over - I'd guess a quarter quart maybe.

What I need to better understand - is this harmful? I know waaaay too much oil is dangerous. But is such a smaller amount? Thanks in advance.
How long did you let the oil drain?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
til it was only a drop every 15 seconds or so. Did the standard: pull drain plug, let drain mostly, then do the filter and install new one, then wait a few more and replace drain plug and add oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I'd try and let the oil drain at least 30 minutes, or more next time. Having said that being over by 1/2 a qt is not an issue. More than that and I would be checking the dipstick right after shutting the engine down for tiny bubbles, which can happen when there's too much oil in the sump.

·
Registered
511 Posts
i do 6 quarts(a gallon +2 quarts) into my 14. No problems. I let it drain about an hour though, but I bet in the extra 45 minutes I let it drain I get about 2 oz of oil more. I usually get distracted by another project/lunch/bull shitting with a buddy/phone call and just come back to the oil later on.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts