Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, my oil pressure reads 80 psi while driving, with no load on motor (neutral) I'm showing around 30. I have changed the oil running recommended viscosity with a mopar filter. The level is fine. So what could be causing me to run such high pressure?

·
Registered
27 Posts
if its truly that high its excessive crankcase pressures, but before you rebuild your engine, do an engine flush (plenty of products out there) and look into a new oil pressure sensor, I put one on my 2.5 when the psi would only read 80 and it fixed that issue. you can try running a true mechanical gauge on your motor to see what the psi really is because that jeep gauge is nothing but an idiot gauge and they do fail from time to time. running some flush through it wont cost much, maybe 7 bucks and the sensor for my 2.5 was about $30.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would put a new sensor on too. I just did the one on mine as it always read 40psi no matter what, now works right.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
did you add any treatments? just got to check... that could cause it if the oil was to thick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No oil treatments added just plain ol oil. It's a 2.5 with roughly 70k miles. I've had it for a few months noticed the high pressure and talked to some people and they mentioned the sending unit but this past weekend went and played in some mud and on the way home noticed a burning smell oil pressure showed 40psi but come to find out was leaking oil from filter area was dark when I got home so wasn't able to investigate but I think it's the gasket on the filter but not sure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Same issue oil looks like its bad seal on filter

:wavey:Just bought 89 2.5 and have a moderate leak looks like its comming from the filter, changed oil, new filter same leak.It drips down on the starter that was just replaced so its real noticable. :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were right what I wasn't able to see that night was that the sending unit was actually the oil leak. Carefully removed old sending unit (kind of a booger to get to) and replaced. Oil leak gone and I'm showing around 50psi under load. Thanks for the help and input

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked it up at Autozone I think it was $28. It is a pain to get to. You'll need an 1 1/16 deep well ( I couldn't find one deep enough though I used an open end ) take your time I've heard horror story's of people going to town on these things and snapping it off the block and then having to tap it. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok I am having the same issue 2.5, but it has blown out my new oil pan gasket on the drivers side. what it causing so much pressure??
HELP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts