Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Jeep and I'm still getting everything set up the way I want it. I'm trying to set up an every day toolbox to carry in my Jeep and I'm looking for advice.
  1. I want a box with basic tools and a box that fits under my back seat
  2. I'm looking for a list of basic tools
  3. a way to keep a 4 way lug wrench
I figured that the best place to place these tools is under the back seat as it seems to be an out of the way place to put my stuff while making it convenient for access.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no better way of destroying a set of lugs then using one of those cheap 4 way lug wrenches. Use a proper socket.
I agree, but I gotta go with what I got for now. Eventually I want to get an electric impact and socket set.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
As a starter kit….get out your lift kit instructions (if you have one) and make sure you have all the tools that it required.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll say get a good jack if you have a lift.

I have Black 3 Ton, All-In-One Bottle Jack . It is obviously large but it will get it done (for me I haven't found better that isn't stupidly expensive.) I still have the normal jack too because it is useful.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I use a system that divides my recovery gear and tools into things I keep in the Jeep all the time and extra stuff I add when I'm on the trail and out of cell phone and auto club range.

The first kit that is in the Jeep all the time has water, food, clothing, fire making tools, Jeep tools, $100 cash, fire extinguisher, an extra cell phone charger, first aid kits, and more. Things that I might need to get home in an emergency. That kit fits in a big box in the back and the rest is up under the rear seat.

The trail kit has a full tool kit. It has a full set of 1/2" sockets and full size crescent wrenches where the daily kit has some adjustable wrenches. That kit fills a back seat foot area up to the seat level.

Reactions: RJames55

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
Here is my list:

Headlamp
Leatherman knife
Screw driver and bit set, full size
Wire Cutters
Needle nose pliers
Regular pliers
4lbs hammer
2 large crescent wrenches
Complete set of combination wrenches, double up for the popular sizes
1/4 inch socket set
1/2 inch sockets, most for suspension bolt size
An old 1/2 in torque wrench
Gloves

Other than the 4lbs hammer and crescent wrenches all of this stays in the Jeep full time. I bought a tool roll for the wrenches and a small bag for everything else. Both sit behind and kinda under the front seats. The torque wrench is mounted in the rear cubby. The 4lbs hammer and crescent wrenches are stored with my recovery gear.

Speaking of recovery gear I break this down into 2 categories, stuff I need to get the Jeep out of a tight spot and parts/fluids I need if I breakdown. The former is pretty complete but I do want to add an ARB X Jack. The later though really isn't even started except for small thing like fusses.

The hardest part of all of this is making sure you can secure the load in case something like a roll over occurs, you don't want things flying around.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I have a tool bag and a box with a bunch of chit inside from a bottle jack and 2x4's to basic wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers etc etc. This is for the day to day.
For trail rides i load 2 more tool bags with recovery gear and more crap.
20220113_070217 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bottle jack is in my kit. I do have a 4way lug tool, but I bought a good one at NAPA. Usually I have battery impact and proper socket. I, as many, carry way more stuff than I probly need. Tie wire, zip ties, assorted tools, extra lugnuts, shovel, portable air compressor, tire plugs, etc etc. But IMO the most important piece I carry is a SPOT X.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have a matching impact socket for each of our vehicles and I put my Milwaukee impact wrench in the appropriate vehicle if we go OOT. I also have an old Craftsman “truck“ plastic tool case (flat) that I have basic necessities in. This is in addition to a battery pack charger/jump starter and tire inflator.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just purchased my first Jeep and I'm still getting everything set up the way I want it. I'm trying to set up an every day toolbox to carry in my Jeep and I'm looking for advice.
  1. I want a box with basic tools and a box that fits under my back seat
  2. I'm looking for a list of basic tools
  3. a way to keep a 4 way lug wrench
I figured that the best place to place these tools is under the back seat as it seems to be an out of the way place to put my stuff while making it convenient for access.
Skip the cross lug wrench, get a breaker bar and a 19mm impact socket. Will save you a lot of cussing when you need to change a tire.

Then go get a set of tools from Lowes or HD, and dump them into a job bag, or 2, and they will fit under the seats.

Here's a good starter set for you

·
Registered
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
1,129 Posts
I am still piecing my kit together, but I love the 301 piece tool kit from HF. Everything has a spot, 1/4,3/8,1/2 drive sets, wrench’s, allens, I have only had to add tamper proof torx and a t55 so far. I have a tow strap (meant for HMMWVs), a flashlight, leatherman, some bailing wire, some 550 cord, and some other things I can’t think of right now. I still have things I need to get and some spare parts.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
5,227 Posts
Bottle jack is in my kit. I do have a 4way lug tool, but I bought a good one at NAPA. Usually I have battery impact and proper socket. I, as many, carry way more stuff than I probly need. Tie wire, zip ties, assorted tools, extra lugnuts, shovel, portable air compressor, tire plugs, etc etc. But IMO the most important piece I carry is a SPOT X.
Yes! This! We also carry a buttload of tools in the Tacoma for both our vehicles since we take 2 typically if were camping/wheeling BUT one of the biggest pieces is our Garmin InReach for not only being stranded via vehicle but also your safety if you're hurt or hurt yourself while doing a trail repair. Yes I wont send an sos unless it was an emergency but I do have pre-planned texts depending on the trip that states things like ("broken down but ok for now") or ("Broken down send backup"

-Julia

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
^ that’s a good one! I just might have to put that one on the list too!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm with dgsimick on this. I once had a very experienced mechanic tell me, when I asked why he was using a breaker bar rather than an impact wrench respond "if I can't get it off with a breaker bar, it ain't coming off". Electric things fail when you least expect it, and being 30 miles from pavement is not where you want to find that out.

·
Registered
1992 Jeep Yj, 4" rclift, teraflex sye, Adams custom driveshaft. 4.0 ax15. Ford 8.8,4.10s,33x12.5r15
64 Posts
I stuck one of those m12 Milwaukee stubby impacts on my 30 Micmic Ammo cans. Small enough trouble get almost everywhere in the jeep, enough torque to put 100 plus pounds on lugs. Best purchase I’ve made. Also have the m12 3/8” ratchet I bring too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the HF breaker bars--most of their other tools, not so much. I think a multitool is a good call. I also think one pair of Vise Grips is great if you are tired, sweaty, etc. it can be hard to hold pressure on channel locks or pliers. Fuses. I have a spare serpentine drive belt. My complete tool/first aid/recovery kit is absurd--these are just a very few select items.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When I had my truck I had a big tool box in the back that held so much stuff! A set of clothes, chem lights, cargo straps (40 ton), tow strap, tools, fluids, spare belt, some parts, a few MREs, a tarp, small tent, and so much more. It was full! Can’t do that on the jeep, so I’m still working out what I want to EDC and what should go in for long trips or wheeling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts