Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets talk some tools. Im looking to get an impact wrench and not quite sure what would work out best. I was thinking about a 1/2" Dewalt 20v MAX only because I also have the 1/4" impact driver. Would use it for normal Jeep wrenching; would have to take lugs off and on, so 100+ftlbs is mandatory. Id like to be able to set the torque settings on it, but its not manditory. Im also not set on battery, could be corded or even Dewalt. PC, Millwaukee, etc, any reliable brand would be fine
So, whatcha all running for impact wrenches?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
We have been using makita cordless power tools at work for airfield arresting gear maintenance, they have held up very nicely. Price is good too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like air impact's. If you don't have a air compressor, might be a good time to add that to you garage. So many uses for air in the garage.
Im really trying to convince myself that I dont want to go pneumatic. I dont have a compressor and not sure if I want to make the investment. I really do want a big compressor, but dont know too much about them; capacity and the like. What size/capacity is good for home usage? If I were to get a compressor, Id also use it for air nailing trim as well. I have a tiny air brad gun, but would probably get an accompanying larger nailer as well

·
Registered
907 Posts
Im really trying to convince myself that I dont want to go pneumatic. I dont have a compressor and not sure if I want to make the investment. I really do want a big compressor, but dont know too much about them; capacity and the like. What size/capacity is good for home usage? If I were to get a compressor, Id also use it for air nailing trim as well. I have a tiny air brad gun, but would probably get an accompanying larger nailer as well
Air tools are nice to have but I've found myself more and more going to cordless tools. Impacts, drills, etc. just so much more convenient
To use but they can get expensive. That being said a good air compressor comes in handy. For garage and running air tools 25-30gal-130psi min.
You can always adjust regulator for lower psi tools.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There is no electric impact that will come close to what a pneumatic gun is capable of. My half inch guns are capable of up to 600 ft. lbs. of torque. I run Ingersol Rand T30 compressors that peak at 170 psi. For the average Joe my compressors would be overkill but the guns themselves are not since they will use only a fraction of the air of a cheap gun. This becomes more important with a less capable air supply. The cheap guns will only work decent with massive quantities of air. Some electrics can be used successfully in the field but in the shop nothing beats air.

BTW get a cheap pancake compressor for your nail guns. Much more portable and just plain less hassle.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I recently got a Dewalt 18v 1/2" on sale at Tractor Supply. Rated at 300 ft lbs, in reality it struggles at 150 but will eventually get the lugs and spindle nuts off. You get what you pay for, for what I wanted it's fine. However I once rented a Milwaukee 3/4" electric that took the pinion nuts off two D60s like they were nothing. $140 vs $550, you decide!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My only experience is with the craftsman 1/2 dr electric. There has not been a nut on my vehicles it didn't break loose. I can't remember the exact price but it was less than 200. It has lasted 2 years so far.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I used to have a really nice 18v Snapon impact. Very expensive, very good warranty and strong enough for whatever u need. Somebody else wanted it more than me apparently and stole it with a bunch of other tools out of my apartment. I never replaced it but if I bought 1 now I would go with DeWalt, strong reliable and cheaper than the Snapon. It's hard to beat a good air impact or any other quality air tools with a decent air supply tho. Research, save for what u want and remember u get what u pay for!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Dewalt 20V Lithium, but not the max. It's been used on the Jeep a lot, but struggles with lugs that have been torqued to spec at the tire shop. All in all, for what I spent, it fits my needs.

I also have a 30 gal Craftsman compressor, but haven't bought an air gun for it. I have an air ratchet (worthless), and a die grinder that my compressor struggles to keep up with. However, updating an old house, it has come in handy. It will easily run a nail gun and gets by running a texture gun. Unless you buy a two stage, three phase compressor with huge storage, you will always be able to find something you can do with it.

If you decide to invest in a compressor, I would stay away from the oil-less machines and do your research on storage vs. delivery.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I have a Dewalt 20V Lithium, but not the max. It's been used on the Jeep a lot, but struggles with lugs that have been torqued to spec at the tire shop. All in all, for what I spent, it fits my needs. I also have a 30 gal Craftsman compressor, but haven't bought an air gun for it. I have an air ratchet (worthless), and a die grinder that my compressor struggles to keep up with. However, updating an old house, it has come in handy. It will easily run a nail gun and gets by running a texture gun. Unless you buy a two stage, three phase compressor with huge storage, you will always be able to find something you can do with it. If you decide to invest in a compressor, I would stay away from the oil-less machines and do your research on storage vs. delivery.
Same experiences. I let my brother use my tank and it stopped working. It was a pain to charge the tank, hook up the line/gun .. Meh im too lazy for all that.
This one looks awesome. Reviews are great and i like the compactness of it.
DEWALT DCF880HM2 20-volt MAX Lithium Ion 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bFRuwbSAP954M
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bFRuwbSAP954M

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you put a air compressor in your garage, you'll be wondering why you didn't do it a long time ago. I started with a small one on wheels and then got a 60 gal upright from home depot for $400. Does great for what i use it for. The small ones that are direct drive are very noisy.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Same experiences. I let my brother use my tank and it stopped working. It was a pain to charge the tank, hook up the line/gun .. Meh im too lazy for all that.
DEWALT DCF880HM2 20-volt MAX Lithium Ion 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bFRuwbSAP954M
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bFRuwbSAP954M
Having been through all this, I've realized that I don't use my cordless stuff enough to maintain the batteries.
I'd be better off with A/C power tools.
I have some excellent air tools. Most are well over 20 years old. Have a V-twin 60 gallon air compressor that stays charged for whenever they are needed.
That works well for me.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
]
Good stuff. That one is the one Ive been looking at! Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the 1/2" Dewalt 20V MAX. No problem taking off lugs that were torqued to spec with a instrument that is traceably calibrated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have 18V Snap On cordless and it's a beast. I haven't run into a bolt on the JKU that it won't zip right off. It's a little heavy, but to me, it's a priceless trail repair tool without a doubt.

I also have a Husky dual rate pneumatic impact from Home depot.. I think it's 400 lb ft on the low setting and 800lb ft on high setting. I think it was like 150 bucks, and its a beast as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Air tools are better IF you have the compressor to drive them. Substantial investment does not make sense for 95% of the DIY'ers.

I bought a Kobalt A/C from Lowes for $130 it has 350lbs of torque. I haven't found a bolt/nut it cant break. Very happy with it... and they make quick work of a lot of things!

·
Registered
395 Posts
In my experience, if the 20V with a fresh battery wont get it the 1/2" air impact probably wont either. I'll go string the 5/8" air hose and get the Proto J175. Then shit gets real...:atomic:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts