Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have seen lots of posts regarding essential items to have in the Jeep (all really useful stuff, thanks), but I would be interested to see a list of tools needed in the garage for working on the Jeep. For example, which tools are needed for removing all the meant-to-be-removed parts, and any special tools needed for less routine operations.

A service book would be ideal but I understand there will not be anything coming out until 2013 for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, so I expect the same story for the 2013 models.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
327 Posts
The most important tool I have found for working on my jeep is an impact wrench.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
A complete set of metric and SAE wrenches and sockets will get most of it. You want shallow and deep sockets. Flat and phillips screwdrivers are mandatory as well, as are torx bits. You may need allen head drivers as well. If you have all that you can get most everything in the Jeep.

Power tools make life easier but aren't absolutely essential. Still, I have a full set.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
all of the above. I have found that my manual impact driver vs the air impact is very helpful as well. They cost around $25 and last forever. I would add some penetrating lubricant, PB Blaster, WD 40, etc to your list of needs. I found that I have needed some shorty screwdrivers as kind of specialty item. I would add a torque wrench too.

Dana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manual impact driver

all of the above. I have found that my manual impact driver vs the air impact is very helpful as well. They cost around $25 and last forever. I would add some penetrating lubricant, PB Blaster, WD 40, etc to your list of needs. I found that I have needed some shorty screwdrivers as kind of specialty item. I would add a torque wrench too.

Dana
Thanks for the advice. I have most of these items already I think, except for the manual impact driver. I have not come across that before, is it available in any hardware store?

WD40 and duct tape of course are essentials, with those two things you can fix anything. The Red Green Show: No Duct Tape (Part 1) - YouTube

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
the manual impact you can pick up at Home Depot or Sears, for sure. I have had mine for over 30 years, got it back in my motorcycle days. But I know I have seen them at HD and Sears.

Dana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts