Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best for cutting factory fender flares? Mine hit the tires. Dremel? Jigsaw with metal cutting blade (lots of teeth)? Or utility knife? About to cut mine up, need the clearance but the look is also important too. Thanks and some pics of yours done would help too as to how much to trim.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
angle grinder did a pretty clean job, but it threw molten plastic everywhere and I had to wear my welding gloves...

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
If they're like the TJ flares the easiest, neatest way to do it is with a sharp razor knife. Score, bend, peel, done....

·
Registered
189 Posts
did these two YJ's and a TJ with a angle grinder (sawzall) and a stone or metal disc! either is ok...i marked the line on the flare of the shape i wanted keeping the look and still keeping a decent amount of coverage with masking tape! then run the disc (lightly at first) over the flare,.. takes just minutes each one.,it sorta burns through melting the plastic....then just sand or file the rough edges...easy and effective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I cut mine with a utility knife. Like butter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot especially for the pics. I am going to have to do mine. Will let you know about the results. Will post some pics after I get the hardtop painted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
if i were doing mine i would prob use a jigsaw w/ a fine blade. id be a lil weary about a utility/razor knife. i dont think i could keep my hand still enough...

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
if i were doing mine i would prob use a jigsaw w/ a fine blade. id be a lil weary about a utility/razor knife. i dont think i could keep my hand still enough...
The beauty thing of the razor knife is it's fast easy and you don't have nasty rough edges when you're done. I used a Dremel on one, made a huge mess, tried a small saw on another, another huge mess, then the knife.. :) You don't have to cut through the flare, just score it, bend it in to break it, and it peels right off..... But suit yourself, I prefer not to make a 30 minute job into a 4 hour job whenever possible... ;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The beauty thing of the razor knife is it's fast easy and you don't have nasty rough edges when you're done. I used a Dremel on one, made a huge mess, tried a small saw on another, another huge mess, then the knife.. :) You don't have to cut through the flare, just score it, bend it in to break it, and it peels right off..... But suit yourself, I prefer not to make a 30 minute job into a 4 hour job whenever possible... ;)
Yup Yup!

Same here...utility knife..Just mark your line and take your time, and don't rush

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
if you decide to go with the dremel, you can score the flare with a utility knife first so you have a groove to work with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts