Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tools do you guys carry with you in your Jeep? I know the basics but what is an important tool to have with you?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Spare Jeep and a BFH. :p

For Daily Driving...cell phone, lug wrench, tire plug kit.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
You'd laugh at everything I carry but a complete set of larger sizes of SAE and metric wrenches & sockets plus big pliers, larger sizes of screwdrivers, and vise grips would be the minimum I would recommend. I leave my 1/4" drive sockets at home but my tool bags are pretty darned heavy. I also carry a volt/ohmmeter and wiring/crimp connectors plus spare fuses of every type. I'll stop now since I actually carry and use a lot more than that half the times I go out, usually to help others.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here is exactly what I carry always:

Jack
4 way wheel spanner/lug wrench
Set of pass through sockets and ratchet
Set of torx bits for above up to T55
1/4" socket set with normal and deep wall sockets from 4mm to 14mm and various driver bits.
18mm & 21mm wrenches
Cable ties, self fusing tape, fuses, driveshaft u-joint, electrical wire.

I think that is it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'll come as close as I can, but enough stuff to fix just about anything
Extra spare tire
All wrenches, sockets, torx bits, screw drivers, allen wrenches etc to fit every fastener on the jeep and trailer. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drives, depending on use.. No sense in complete sets when you'll never use that 5 mm wrench, or that 15/16" socket. I take what I need and need what I take
Lug wrench, and a small tire iron
Spare bolts, nuts and hose clamps
Spare belt, hoses and wire.
Ball pean hammers, large and small
Spare u joints for axle and driveshafts,
Tire repair kit
Good hydraulic bottle jack
Hi lift
fire extinguisher
Extensive Safety kit, including pain killers and penicillin.
And last but not least, the Jeep itself.. It's the greatest tool on the trail ... I know I must have missed something, haven't taken inventory since last spring.. ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Crap,,, three different vise grips,
Tie straps
Bungee cords,, not the cheap ones, the heavy black ones
Spare wheel bearings for trailer,
Ratchet straps
3/8" drill with battery pack and charger
I think I got it now,,, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to let you know.. As Jerry said, it can be laughable, till you're out in the middle of no where, and all you have is your tools and your wits to get you back..

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you're concerned about saving space, I'd recommend gear wrenches. They make some with swivel heads and it's amazing how tight of a place you can get them. This would allow you to carry fewer sockets and lighten your toolbag. I'd still carry 1/2" sockets and a breaker bar. I've bent my share of 4 ways just because the lugs siezed.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
4 way lug wrench
3 pairs pliers varying size and type
2 each philips and flat screw drivers
standard wrenches 5/16-7/8
metric wrenches 10-18 mm
a cheap Stanley socket set
torex up to t55
Allen wrenches up to 3/8
2 crescent wrenches different size 1/2 drive sockets 3/4-15/16
high lift Jack
wide base for highlift jack
extra long jumper cables
come along
utility knife
3 vice grips different size & type
black rtv
zip ties
bungee chords
ratchet straps
road flares
first aid kit
24 hour survival kit
wd4d
break fluid
oil
at
antifreeze
ax
entrenching tool
coat
2 flashlights
GPS
batteries
maps
compass
safety glasses
leather work gloves
tow strap
6 feet 3/8 chain
15 feet 5/16 cable
extra shackles
snatch blocks
50 feet 3/8 rope
2 meter radio modified to also use emergency frequencies
TARP
blanket

I know im forgetting something but off the top of my head thats what I carry with me all the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The same topic is in the general section and its just as bad. More of a shipping list an makes me wonder how it all fits in a jeep without a trailer

·
Registered
296 Posts
lapis_blue said:
The same topic is in the general section and its just as bad. More of a shipping list an makes me wonder how it all fits in a jeep without a trailer
Who needs to see out of the back window? Stack it high! Hahaha

·
Registered
941 Posts

I forgot jumper cables and winch controller on my list but all of mine fits into an ammo case in the trunk.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just carry a extreme first aid kit. Unless I'm on the trail then more jeep stuff. Lets be honest on the road only bad thing is not having good medial treatment. But I guess that's the medic in me over thinking safety.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
I hate that I subscribed to this because it's quickly going from an informative post to a shopping list...
I limited my list to just tools as the subject asked. If I listed everything I carry in addition to the list of minimum tools I recommended above, it'd be 10X as long as my original list was.

·
Registered
161 Posts
40' of chain, 100' synthetic rope, shovel, axe, machete, jumpers, high lift and accessories, which accessories, general tools, twin scuba tanks and mud proof goggles

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
lapis_blue said:
Well yeah,, all the tools, safety gear, and extraction equipment fit quite nicely in and on the jeep. My trailer is used for all the camping gear !! ;) ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you're concerned about saving space, I'd recommend gear wrenches. They make some with swivel heads and it's amazing how tight of a place you can get them...
I don't know how I lived without these. I ended up with 2 sets...1 for home and one for the grab-and-go tool bag.
How many times have they been just the right tool when a socket wouldn't fit becuase of overhead clearance I can't begin to count.
And swivel heads for sure. Don't bother with the fixed heads, IMO.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
my list is as long as it is because im in the volunteer SAR group where I live. we get calls at anytime of day and I need to just go. many of the things on mine are unnecessary. but redundancy is always a good thing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
^^^That's different. You need to be ready to roll. My truck has more carry space and it is a little more prepared (loaded) to be a "bug-out-vehicle", or can be pretty fast, with a few grab and go things. I'm sure the Jeep will get more stuff but I haven't had it long enough yet. Thinking about getting or building a trunk locker for the Jeep so I can stack things neatly in one place and padlock it. My metal truck box, which is already fairly packed with emergency stuff won't fit in the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts