Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting married in May and trying to add some man stuff to our registry. As I started looking at tools, I was a little overwhelmed by all the various brands and stuff out there these days. My dad always had craftsman tools growing up, but I lost them all over the years fixing my bike and whatever else.

What is a good tool brand, and some other must have items for DIY/mechanic type guy?

Things I have in mind:
Drill or impact driver
ratchet set
wrench set
screwdrivers
SUV jack
jack stands
other things I can't think of right now

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
6 ton jack stands, they'll be taller and more useful on a jeep.
3 ton jack that has a tall max height, 24"-26"
for power tools, I'm a milwaukee fan, they make a very solid product.

hand tools get a bit tricky, I used to only use craftsman as they were my dads tools and they were quality tools that were made in the USA.

around 10 years ago that changed, they are now made in china and are no where near the quality that they once were. i've tried several other brands and the good ones, snap on and mac, are just too expensive for my needs. glad i have a rather complete set of made in america craftsman tools, i havent been to impressed with other similarly priced brands

·
Registered
526 Posts
+1 on the Craftsman being made in China now.
I have a lot of USA made Craftsman, most of them I've owned for 40+ years. Won't touch the ones made in China. I also use KD and Williams hand tools. Both are good brands, cheaper than Snap-On and Mac, and made in USA, unless that has changed in the past couple months.

My advice, buy quality tools, you won't regret it. If you skimp and buy the cheap stuff, you will be kicking yourself the first time you use them. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My advice, buy quality tools, you won't regret it. If you skimp and buy the cheap stuff, you will be kicking yourself the first time you use them. :)
That's the plan! I've already destroyed 2 or 3 of those all in one handyman kits I've gotten for christmas.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
The last time I was at Sears to get 3 sockets & a ratchet replaced makes me think they are going downhill.They had a very small amount of sockets,at one time they had a vast selection.Then they now have to give you a refurbished ratchet.The one I got looks like someone used it for a hammer.
Hopefully it holds up better than the last one.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I got the 330+ piece tool set from craftsman and a tool chest to store it all in. Its very nice when you have ½, 3/8, 1/4 sockets in all kinds of sizes and ratchet wrenches. i would recommend getting a nice tool set that will stay in one place and in order. i was use to having all my tools and crap in one bag all mixed up while working. Now if I'm going far on a trip I just put everything in separate plastic bags to take with me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree on Craftsman - had most of mine for 40+ years. Took two ratchets in because they did not work any more - got two "refurb" ones that are probably worse than what I took in. Been getting some of mine from Lowe's or HD. If it is a "one time" thing then I go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Even Harbor Freight gives you a "lifetime" warranty on some of their hand tools. And, they are cheap enough if it breaks - go buy another one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I should avoid craftsman, what's another good hand tool brand?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After talking with my roommate who works as a general contractor he really recommended Makita tools. Said his has lasted for 3 years on the job site and he hasn't treated it well (dropped off ladders, left in the truck bed for a rain storm etc). So I added this set to the list.

Still stuck on hand tools though. All the wrenches and sockets I find are either craftsman, or crazy expensive.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well let me be the first to throw out Harbor Freight. Cheap enough that when you lose it you don't cry and good enough for 90% of the things you will do. I actually read a post somewhere yesterday that was a professional using only Harbor freight tools because "they" told him it couldn't be done. His tool box and cart and all his tools including air wrenches were Harbor Freight and he had nothing bad to say. I personally have just started using them and have had no problems to date. Certainly better than the Craftsman junk or Husky. I do like some Clutch tools also (Northern Tool)

I did opt for a Milwaukee 1/2inch cordless impact because its a monster and I love it

·
Registered
512 Posts
Why not invite a snapon truck to come to the reception. Your guests can climb onto the truck and chose items right there and then.

·
Registered
188 Posts
GearWrench wrenches - nice for a store bought set. Kobalt hand tools have been decent to me--sockets and wrenches specifically. Took in an older USA Craftsman ratchet for replacement--received a new (not refurb) China made one--total piece. Honestly, prefer the ratchet out of a five dollar socket set from H.F.

Screwdrivers - you can still find those made in the USA - last set I bought was from Menards on the clearance rack (USA).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well let me be the first to throw out Harbor Freight. Cheap enough that when you lose it you don't cry and good enough for 90% of the things you will do. I actually read a post somewhere yesterday that was a professional using only Harbor freight tools because "they" told him it couldn't be done. His tool box and cart and all his tools including air wrenches were Harbor Freight and he had nothing bad to say.
The tool box I carry in my Jeep is mostly Harbor Freight. The rest are Wal Mart.

I have a 1/4" socket set in SAE and Metric, has a 3/8 ratchet and a few 3/8 sockets in a molded plastic case for $10 at Wal Mart. I threw in an old 1/4" ratchet I had to go with it. Since I had the 3/8 ratchet, I got a set of sockets for it for about $12 at H.F.

Since I was going to need Torx bits, I got a set of those, too. And added a 1/2" ratchet to drive them. And since I had all these sockets, I add a set of wobble extensions, too.

Oh yeah, WRENCHES! A combination wrench set, 22 piece, 11 SAE and 11 Metric for less than $20. Cotton rolls to store them in off eBay.

H.F. had a coupon for a 6 piece screwdriver set, FREE!! Add a 4" 1/4 Common and a 4" #2 Phillips for about a buck a piece. Then they had a sale on a set with a ratcheting handle with several sizes of Common, Phillips, AND Torx bits. All in a nice little roll. My wife wants one of these to carry in her Durango.

Several types of pliers, a couple sizes Vice Grips, and maybe a few others I don't remember right now, and including the box, ALSO H.F., I've got MAYBE $150 invested. If they disappear I'll be P.O.ed, but not out a lot of money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts