Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a navy blue 97. here in butte Montana im a member of the 15/90 search and rescue organization. our trademark uniforms are a navy blue shirt/sweat shirt with a red hat and black pants. we do many community service acts around town everything from food drives to parade marshaling and security. I was thinking it would be funny to dye or paint my old soft top red to use for these events. any suggestions?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm assuming you want it to be permanent....I know lots of guys on here like Krylon Fusion paints...don't know how well that will work on fiberglass....and since I am a custom painter by trade, I would lean more towards automotive paints myself....

You'll need to prep your top for primer first (I ALWAYS prime no matter what). You can use a grey scuff pad and then a degreaser before priming. Obviously everything will need to be masked off...you can get the 3m green masking tape at most parts stores....

Then look for a suitable red for your project. You need to make sure your environment is suitable for painting - ie, airflow, clean, right temp, etc...

I think Duplicolor has alot of good options as far as colors go and you can get almost anywhere....

Hope that helps as a start at least....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also, since you want to use red....I would opt for a base/clear system. You'll want to use a clearcoat that has UV protection to help slow down the fade process....you don't want your red top looking pink...

You may find a single stage red that has UV protection in it...but I'm honestly not familiar with single stage anything....

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You need a fabric paint. I would go light grey or white first, then red on top.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ahhhh fabric top...yup big difference! :) I guess I missed that key word ' soft'...I would look at SEM Color Coat...DupliColor also has a similar paint for Vinyl which would probably work...

What I don't know though is how long it will actually hold up if you put your top up and down a lot....it may start to show wear around the areas that fold....the SEM is a flexible coating not a dye, but it works great from my experience....

You can check them out online and see where to buy etc...again you want Color Coat from SEM.

·
Banned
20 Posts
All that crap u get from an auto parts store will not work. I've tried! U need to go to a crafts store and they sell a fabric paint in a rattle can specifically designed for what u need it for. It's like 12 bucks a can but it works badass! Trust me on this one

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I don't think you will like the results nor will it last.

- It is going to be difficult to get every bit of it (zippers, inside the folds and velcro. As soon as you undo the velcro, the dye/paint is going to come off.

- It is going to be subject to fading from the sun. (and red is bad for fading) You did not say what color you are starting with.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Neil F. said:
I don't think you will like the results nor will it last.

- It is going to be difficult to get every bit of it (zippers, inside the folds and velcro. As soon as you undo the velcro, the dye/paint is going to come off.

- It is going to be subject to fading from the sun. (and red is bad for fading) You did not say what color you are starting with.
Ignore this guy go to crafts store

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its black now, and I'd only put the old top on a couple days a year, when we do parades and such. my everyday top is new and nice the old one had a couple seams popped, since removing it I have repaired them but still not really highway travel worthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts