Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 Rubicon and have some questions about riding with the top down and doors off. Haven't done this since owning a '98 TJ.

How weatherproof is the Nav/stereo unit? I didn't care with my TJ and even drove when is was raining. Down pours I used to wait under bridges. But that was in my early 20's. Never had any issues with rain.

How about the leather seats or other electrical stuff? I had roll-up windows and manual locks (don't think power was an option back then?) on the TJ.

I have a wife and kid to worry about now. Are all of you with kids riding with them with the top/doors off? I'm fine with the risk, but I'm a little concerned with the wife and kid, especially with the safety tests not being too great. I'm not too worried about having only the top off, but a side impact with the doors off seems pretty scary. Maybe leave the rear doors on and only take off the front doors? Does that look goofy? lol

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my 2016 JKU two weeks ago and the front top has been off 4 times already. The kids love it and as soon as the weather is warm enough the whole top will be off. I have seen photos of just the front doors off and it looks cool like that too. I won't be taking all four doors off until the kids go to their week long visit with my parents this summer. But that's just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the top and doors off with my wife in the front and my 5 year old daughter in the back seat. Front doors were off but back doors were on. Did look a bit goofy but wanted more protection and safety for my daughter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily drive around in the pouring rain or anything but I've been caught in my office after having the top down and the rain hit - we have leather, nav, heated seats etc in the 2015 Sahara.

I have the same concerns as you regarding safety with the family in the jeep. During the summer we pull the front doors leave the rear on and switch out the hard top for the soft which is only up when it rains candidly. This year I'm investing in a dirty dog sunshade for the rear and cargo area to keep the sun off our 5 year old in the back. I'm also pondering tube doors and the dirty dog panels for the rear only. I had a pic from last summer with the rear doors on if that helps at all. Enjoy your new ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
in the summer i drive the JK with the roof off, tube doors. spiderwebshade on the top and sides, though, to cut down a lot on the wind. one (4) in a car seat, one (7) in a booster seat.

with them in the car we generally don't go anywhere far on the highway, as it gets really windy in the back over like 50. i'm tempted to get them some kid motorcycle helmets, i think they'd find that hilarious, and for bonus points maybe we wouldn't be able to hear them complaining :D

they LOVE to ride in it though. haven't been full offroad with them, but we did do a corn maze and an obstacle course that had a little bit of everything you'd find off road though, and they had a blast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome Gardnerjr! 3 and a 7 year old, have the top off right now in socal, doors on. They love it. Helmets not necessary, just keep 'em clamped in. Pic from this past summer. 15 jkur tank.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If I lived in an area that doesn't have a lot of sunshine. I would like to be able to take the top off but our weather changes from day to day and never can count on it being dry enough. I would not count on the electronics being water proof. Water resistant but not water proof. It's bad enough having to deal with high humidity.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
all good questions. My M38 could run submerged. Just the exhaust extension, snorkel and my head above the water. CJs were pretty weather proof too. YJs durable interiors. TJs getting' fancy but still no "computers" to worry about in the rain. The JK seems to have completely forgotten those roots of letting us be free. It has more stuff to get damaged than a 1965 Lincoln convertible. YEAH... do not leave it out in a rain storm.

My son got a cover for his JKU. Instant coverage. And a bit of security if you are parked topless overnight.

·
Registered
644 Posts
First day I took the freedom tops off on a zero percent change of rain day it spontaneously down poured so bad half way to work that I couldn't even see. Had to stop on the side of the interstate to put the tops back on. Everything got soaked. I don't have nav or leather though. But I do have power doors. When I got to work it had stopped raining so I opened it back up and let it sit all day in the sun. I've never had problems with the radio or any electronics. After that I did buy a bestop trail cover just for the days I ride topless and leave it that way. (I have the hard top only). You could get a bikini top if you want protection from direct rain.

As far as safety, I don't think the top is going to do that much in a roll over since it has no rigid structure. Best case, it keeps outside objects from flying into the vehicle.
You have to trust the roll bars.

For side impacts, you could get half doors or tube doors. I ride a bike too, so side impacts in the wrangler don't seem so scary to me by comparison. I'm more concerned with my tendency to rest my foot on the door sill.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
^^^^
Been using the Bestop Trail Cover for a year now & I've been happy with it. It will fold into its bag and not take up too much room in the jeep and throw it on if you need to cover up for inclimate weather.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Rain destroyed one stereo and trail dust took out the other :)

So yes....it does happen or maybe I just have the worse luck.

I keep a bikini top in the back of my JK so if it starts raining I just pull over and cover the top in order to protect my electronics. Nothing worse than driving for 2 months with your top off and no stereo to blast!

You might want to keep some garbage bags in your jeep under your front seat. I put one over my steering wheel to protect those electronics and you can also cover up your seats if you want.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The tops and doors are non structural and in most cases are only there for weather protection and may not be as helpful in a side impact as you would like to think. If you want doors back there I would look at a set of half doors for just the rear, it will look better and give the same protection as the full.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rain is definitely more or a problem for my jku than it was fit my cj5. Last year I took my hard to off 10+ times. This year I decided to go with the soft top during the warm months so I can just fold it back when it is a nice day and put it up when weather is coming.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's your lift and tire.set up, looks great man?.
Thanks Art! 3" TF long arm, 37 Nitto TG's, braced and sleeved. Since that pic added high steer, skids, muffler and a bunch of other stuff. Doors are Rancho, spiderwebshades all around. Awesome when weather appropriate. Have a bestop rain cover too, use it during beach days, or when the jeep is in the lot.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You might want to keep some garbage bags in your jeep under your front seat. I put one over my steering wheel to protect those electronics and you can also cover up your seats if you want.
This is the main thing I would worry about. A wet clock spring can cause all kinds of problems you don't want to deal with.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts