Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my TJ in September, it came with a hardtop. I would love to take it off for part of the summer. I don't think i need a full softop, but I would like to have a little something for some protection from elements (until i move it in the garage haha). There are so many options: Bikini, Safari.. I need some experience here...suggestions?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Just got my TJ in September, it came with a hardtop. I would love to take it off for part of the summer. I don't think i need a full softop, but I would like to have a little something for some protection from elements (until i move it in the garage haha). There are so many options: Bikini, Safari.. I need some experience here...suggestions?
I was literally just getting on to ask the same thing...
I am torn between going all out and doing something like a frameless soft top, or just running a bikini top and emergency rain top. I plan to be topless as much as possible this summer.

has anyone used any of the emergency rain tops?
I was looking at this one but don't know how it would hold up.
Amazon

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was literally just getting on to ask the same thing...
I am torn between going all out and doing something like a frameless soft top, or just running a bikini top and emergency rain top. I plan to be topless as much as possible this summer.

has anyone used any of the emergency rain tops?
I was looking at this one but don't know how it would hold up.
Amazon
what are the odds...also looked at your jeep profile, we bought ours the same week!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Get a bikini! They will cover the important stuff up front and don't whip around in the wind

·
Registered
218 Posts
No top just the emergency rain top! Unless you don't like the sun! or a spider mesh top I heard those are pretty good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get a bikini! They will cover the important stuff up front and don't whip around in the wind
x2, plus with the full doors you should have (since you have a hardtop)
you can close the window when needed.

We don't use the soft top's side panels much either, just put the soft top up
when it's too sunny (we get sun burn :banghead:) plus we have the
Rugged Ridge Neoprene seat covers so we aren't worried about getting
the seats wet in the rare rain showers in SW Colorado.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Many schools of thought on this. I have a bikini, safari and a rampage soft top.
On a trip to Colorado last summer I just ran the Full doors and a bikini top. Did almost 1600 miles on that trip through various climates. (yes I did mean climates). Started off here in Texas doing the hotter than hell 500 between Dallas the the NM boarder. Windows down having a good time. Little cooler in NM and began to see some rain showers. Bikini did well but since it stops at the roll bar you may get some drips to a small river pouring on you depending on how heavy the rain is. But in warm weather its no big deal. Now the rain storm as we went over independence pass to Aspen was a different story. Rain down your back when your at 12,095 ft and its 34 degrees out side is not all that fun. I lucked into my safari top once I got back here to Texas. (guy had sold his Jeep and wife wanted the extra stuff out of the garage.) I like the safari here during the extreme heat. Which over all is why I finally broke down and got the Rampage soft top. Its a safari with the ability to have windows.

This is one of the area's where your going to have to decide what works for you. No top, mesh top, bikini, safari, frame less soft top. They all have pros and cons and people have different likes and dislikes.

Just Empty Every Pocket - JEEP
New top may be your first mod but it won't be your last.
You may start with a bikini, then decide to build your own mesh top, then want a safari top. Hang on now, how about seat covers so after swimming there in the ocean you won't hurt the seat. (not that you will without seat covers)
And oh yeah the bigger tires to handle the sand better, and more lights so I can see on the beach at night and on and on.

Welcome to our world. Sometimes its a shopping and modding hell but we love it anyway. :D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
No emergency top just a safari top and a duster you'll be fine in fact last summer I got caught in a storm that dropped about 3inches in a hour and I stayed dry. I ran that setup all summer and its easy to take off when you want some sun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts