Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also looking for opinions on a power hoist. I have a high garage ceiling (20'?) and am a single mom so the ease of lowering with one hand on a button and guiding with the other is my goal.

I was looking and the Power Lange Hoist ($419) but the electric hoist seems identical to the one from Harbor Freight ($99).

Lange also sells just the "T" frame with hooks ans slide ($179) - not sure of shipping costs.

Could not find T frame available on Quadratec but there is a Lange Manual Hoist A Top ($199).

Has anyone looked into just buying the hoist from HF and the Lange T frame or Lange manual hoist and building the same thing while saving about $100? Is there something I am missing that is included in the full kit that I would be missing?

Has anyone looked into buying the HF hoist and t

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also looking for opinions on a power hoist so I can lower top with one hand pushing a button and guide the top with the other hand (single mom, high garage ceiling 20').

I like the Lange Power Hoist but it costs about $419 which is high when the hoist looks the same as others for around $100.

Lange also sell's just the Hoist A Top "T" frame only for about $179 + shipping
Quadratec sells the Lange Manual Hoist A Top for $199 Free shipping
Harbor Freight Sells an Electric Hoist for about $100

For those of you who are familiar with the Power Lange hoist, is there anything I would be missing from the full kit by buying the HF hoist and either just the T frame or the manual hoist and saving about $100? Would it be possible to retrofit the manual hoist to the electric hoist?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Get a Racor storage lift like others have mentioned. It's $135 from Home Depot and the only thing extra you need is a set of straps and some pool noodles for a barrier between the rack and top. IMG_2405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Get a Racor storage lift like others have mentioned. It's $135 from Home Depot and the only thing extra you need is a set of straps and some pool noodles for a barrier between the rack and top. View attachment 3321425

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another +1 for racor. Easy install (I am not mechanical) and works great. I hand crank it but it comes with a drill adapter if you want to go that route.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Not what you're asking but since a couple people already mentioned it, I'll throw in another +1 for the Harken hoist. It's not powered, but I honestly can't see how adding power would improve it any. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a Racor as well. 20' ceiling does make the decision a bit different since I have 10'. I'm sure the Racor could be modifed to fit a 20' without too much effort and the crank can be used manually or with a drill.

This is the only pic I have of my installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power Lifts highly worth it if needed frequently

I purchased the Lange Power Hoist last year. It was difficult to part with the money cost of the power upgrade, but was fortunate enough to take advantage of an offer where they tossed in a set of quick mirrors with the purchase, another $50+ value.
I live in VT where the summer's are short, so every chance I get to go topless, off comes the top! I can easily complete the on/off operations without a second set of hands. The top goes on/off in 8-10 minutes if I've have my coffee; and add another 4-7 for the doors and quick mirror exchange.
Basically, each time I go through this, I want to keep the the top off for atleast 2 days. I have an 90 minute round trip commute to work, so my rule of thumb is that if the forecast is calling for less than a 15% chance of rain during the hours I'm away from home for 2 days, the top and doors are coming off!
I mention this because I typically go throught these motions solo, 26x top off, 26x top on to take full advantage of Summer Jeep Ownership. If I had to deal with the manual cranking routine, it would certainly add time to the On/Off procedure, and likely cut down my number of on/off operations per year. If I had the luxury of taking my top off in the Spring, and leaving it off until Fall, with another car to drive during inclimate weather, I'm sure I would've chosen the manual method.
Some additional comments about the lange lift (powered or manual). The lift fram has some mounting options as to whether you want to lift the top with the read glass in the open or closed position. I originally wanted it in the closed position. But I was deeply discomforted by how much the narrow hook would actually bow the read glass outward as the windows was carefully closed. It made me worry that someday it would just shatter the glass, or that one day I wouldn't pay careful attention to it (going through the top off procedure in a rush), and that the hook may not be placed flush enough as I slam the back window closed an spend my afternoon in tears. After a few off operations of this nature, I had the space availabe to go with the window open, adjusted it, and have done so ever since.
I've had it a couple of years now, with 50+ on & off operations and would highly recommend it if you plan on frequently going through this routine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used a 110 volt Harbor Freight hoist in my garage attic for eleven years. The ceiling is the absolute best place to store a Jeep hard top. My problem is I get so many compliments on my 2016 Hard Rock "body color (BRIGHT WHITE) hard top" that I can't get myself to take it off for the brand spanking Bestop Trektop Pro soft top that's still sitting in their two boxes in the garage. Hear that Bestop? I still haven't installed the new Trektop Pro. It's a warranty thing, guys.
Ah, maybe next spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a flatbed trailer in my garage and wanted to put my hardtop on or above it to save space without having to move the trailer. To do this I built a fixture for my engine hoist to pick the top up for me and then i just roll it to a stand that sits on the trailer. Its just a couple of pieces of angle iron and some 2x6s but works great. It cost less then 30 bucks to make and takes me 15-20 minutes to take the top and doors on or off.
20160414_192347.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
My home-brewed hardtop storage options have evolved.

Phase 0 - I started w/ the buddy system and just set it down w/ the help of a friend on my old TJ.

Phase 1 - When I bought the JK last fall, I used green cam straps hooked into eye-bolts I put into my garage rafters.
I didn't like the 'impending doom' effect of the hard top just hanging there with gravity "pulling down" on it - always. Nor did I like the constant stress on the top itself from hanging and the weatherstrip of the rear window being pinched flat by the straps. Also, the paint is thin on the top around the front drip edge and has already been rubbed off from the front straps/pool noodles.
Phase 2 - I used a second set of (orange) ratchet straps just looped/hooked over the rafters to suspend a rudimentary shelf I built from 2x4s. After I'd remove the top with the green straps, I'd lower it down onto the shelf. I drilled holes in the shelf for the rear pins, so it sits flush on the inner rail of the top (which is where the top meets the body tub), rather than risk scraping/rubbing the paint off the bottom edge of the top. This brought me peace from the weatherstrip and structural stress worries of the top hanging from itself but I still was worried about the whole gravity deal - the shelf was still just hanging there, looking precarious.

Here's a different thread but has pics of the green/orange strap dangle 'solution.'

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/show-off-your-white-jk-104929-105.html#post27889329

Phase 3 - I reused the shelf and built a simple cart with 2x4s, L brackets and some lockable rollers. I put 'slick strips' on the top rail (so the top is easy to slide/glide back). I roll it up to the back of the Jeep, lock the wheels, hop inside the back and crouch/squat/shimmy to get is started onto the top rails of the cart, then it is super simple to just slide it back until the pins drop into the holes.

I hot-glued foam on the inside side/bottom edges and I can store the doors and freedom panels on it, too.

I am where I want to be for hardtop storage at this point. It is super simple and fast. It may look a little rickety but it is solid and stable - I had both my kids jungle-gym test it by hanging/jumping/pushing it all around the garage/driveway.

See the pics for some more details... (it looks a little crooked in some of them but that's just the camera angle - the cart is straight and true).

Enjoy and good luck with your hardtop storage endeavors! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I am also looking for opinions on a power hoist so I can lower top with one hand pushing a button and guide the top with the other hand (single mom, high garage ceiling 20').

I like the Lange Power Hoist but it costs about $419 which is high when the hoist looks the same as others for around $100.

Lange also sell's just the Hoist A Top "T" frame only for about $179 + shipping
Quadratec sells the Lange Manual Hoist A Top for $199 Free shipping
Harbor Freight Sells an Electric Hoist for about $100

For those of you who are familiar with the Power Lange hoist, is there anything I would be missing from the full kit by buying the HF hoist and either just the T frame or the manual hoist and saving about $100? Would it be possible to retrofit the manual hoist to the electric hoist?
I went with the Lange manual hoist a top (paid less than that, don't recall where I bought it from) and the HF hoist. Sign up for their emails and flyers and use a 25% off coupon for it. The only thing you might be missing is the mounting hardware but that's not more than $20 at home depot depending on how you mount it. I put mine on a rolling trolley so I can move it from one side of the garage to the other and it was still cheaper than the Lange power kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought the Lange hoist a cart system from quadratec but I wish I hadn't. Setting it up was a PITA. And the small wench that is built on isn't great. It takes forever to wench up manually because of the small gears. The line gets tangled up and it's a pain to keep it tight. I used an electric drill to keep from doing it manually but even then it binds up a lot unless you let it all the way out first and carefully wind it each time.

The phone a friend method is still the easiest for me if I can. I'd love to have a good mounted power option but I dont have enough support in my carport for that yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 53 Posts