Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finally looking to get a winch. I was going to get a quadratec 11000, but the winch ($400) and a quality rope ($300) will only save me a few hundred bucks. For the money (I only plan on buying one winch, so I don't mind paying for a top quality winch....) I was looking at the Warn 9.5cti. Is it really that good of a winch to command that kind of money? For $1200ish, I can get it with the synthetic rope.

However, besides the winch advice, I am concerned that since my rampage bumper is a top mount winch location, I don't want radiator airflow to become an issue. I wanted to see other members with a top mount winch setup, and if they have any issues with airflow. Thanks a lot for any help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
A warn winch will get you home at the end of the day . I was also concerned about airflow with a top mount bumper, I went with the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar, This bumper sits the winch lower than others that go straight across. I went with the Warn 9.5xp-s for the airflow issue, and not the 9.5cti, I would say try to get at least a Warn Winch for reliability, they are proven in the field. Here is a pic of mine not the best shot but will give you a idea :

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Nice bumper! :thumb: Did it come with the cutouts for the fog lights or did you mod it?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to poison spyder, the airflow issue is bs put out by bumper manufacturers and they say it is a non issue. I wanted to know if anyone actually experienced airflow problems, rather than "it said on the net...."

Thanks for the pic though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This bumper sits the winch a little lower than other flat top bumpers do. In the Pic you can see where it notches down on both sides. Plus that is the reason I went with the 9.5xp-s cause the the cti has the Contactor built over the top and makes it sit higher to block more airflow, as of right now i have not noticed any temp difference. The Foglight cutouts are stock , it came like that , works with factory fogs or Rigid Dually's with adapter plates.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 9.5cti mounted on a Warn bumper. I cross small streams often in the Sierras and wanted the winch high on the bumper. Even though it gets above 100 degrees here, I don't have a temperature problem.

Before this Jeep, I had a 78' L C with a Warn 8274 mounted on top of the factory bumper. I never had a temperature problem with that combination over the 34 years I owned the LC.

I don't believe a high mounted winch blocks enough airflow to be a problem; at least not in my experience.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You won't have overheating issues, one of our shop JKs have a Warn Powerplant, which sits much higher than a 9.5, never overheats or runs anything over 1/2 gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts