Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a bit of a warm weather teaser here in East TN, I'm more than ready to be riding around topless. Today I took my doors off and road around for a while...I am ready for spring! A couple of years ago I had a TJ, sold it, and last fall purchased a 2dr JK.

My wife and I were having a conversation about having the kids in the back of the Jeep in their car seats. We have no problem with them riding in it with the top down but we did start recalling a few "(un)friendly glares" we received last time we had the kids in there with no top.

We remembered pulling up to red lights, or getting passed and seeing people give us that "glance." Anybody else have this experience?

------> My 4 year old daughter loves the Jeep, my wife loves the Jeep, I'm looking forward to having my one year old son in it and of course, I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you're looking for glances. I don't look for them therefore I do not get them. Have by two boys riding around in the back on hot days and the only glances I get are envious glances from other kids and dads who thought a traditional SUV is the only game in town.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I only notice all the smiles IN the Jeep when the whole family is in with the top down and doors off.

I've gone on sand dunes with the top down and kids in car seats in the back. With the shoulder harnesses of the car seat, I think they were pretty safe. I just made sure they had eye protection since they don't have a windshield directly in front of them to block the sand.

The kids also wear ear plugs in the back if we're going to be driving at higher speeds (highway/freeway) with the top down, because wind noise is worse in the back seat, and hearing damage is permanent. I even plan to start putting an ear plug in my left ear for driving at high speeds with the top and doors off. That wind noise is brutal.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I think you're feeling a bit self conscious. If people are looking chances are it's just because it's something different or they think it's cool.

The top offers no real safety benefit, other than done protection from the elements.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you're looking for glances. I don't look for them therefore I do not get them. ...the only glances I get are envious glances from other kids and dads who thought a traditional SUV is the only game in town.
Wait...what?

I'm definitely not looking for them, but we definitely got them.

I think you're feeling a bit self conscious.
No, not really. I just remember the first time we rode with them in the back and a few specific looks from the mom in the minivan...was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't care less what other people think. My kids love riding around with the top off. They beg me to take the doors off. Their happiness is more important to me than what some passer-by may be thinking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I couldn't care less what other people think. My kids love riding around with the top off. They beg me to take the doors off. Their happiness is more important to me than what some passer-by may be thinking.
Agreed!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have put 10's of thousands of miles on a JKU with kids in the carseats and the top down. I will literally leave it off for weeks at a time and drive it daily, and it is the main kid hauler. I have never noticed anyone giving me a "glance" from their minivan or Tahoe. And to be honest, I would not give a crap if they did.

The kids love it, and I don't buy into this hypersensitive politically correct child coddling movement we have now. When I was a kid, we didn't wear seat belts, and I used to ride to elementary school on the back of my dad's Harley.

Besides, if anyone looks down on you, it is likely out of their own ignorance. A heavy, steel, body on frame vehicle with roll bars is for sure more safe than any subcompact or compact SUV or passenger car. It is a simple matter of physics. Does anyone give nasty glares when they pass a Corolla with two car seats in the back? I don't know about you, when the Tahoe driving soccer mom runs a red light because she is texting while driving, and smacks into me, I'd much rather be in a JKU than a Corolla.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Who cares what ignorant, stick their noses in, people think?

I couldn't care less what people who don't understand the soft and hard top offer no structural protection think.

As far as a roll over and debris coming in easier because of no top.......yeah, sounds legit. Happens, what, 100 times a day, right? Lol.

I was rockin the sun rider yesterday with my two year old in the back in her car seat.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would have interpreted the so called glare as pure jealousy or being envious.
Yup. I get more looks in the jeep than I do in the vette. I personally think most people secretly want one but feel they need a "regular" car because they are grown ups.

Life is short. I'm going to have fun any chance I get.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
my kids actually don't like to ride in the back seat with the top off, they complain a lot about the wind above ~40 mph...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I tell my wife that all the time, I could give 2 sh*ts what other people think!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
my kids actually don't like to ride in the back seat with the top off, they complain a lot about the wind above ~40 mph...
My daughter had the same problem in our 2 door...I added the Spiderweb shade and it miraculously cut down a lot of the backdraft that had her screaming bloody murder. Try one out if you haven't already (I believe it's the extended one that comes down about halfway on the rollbars in the 2 door)

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I actually had someone leave a note on my car when i had the doors and top off of my TJ and the car seats in the back. They were appalled that i would do that. Like some of the other posters said,the top and doors provide little more than protection from the weather. and like others have said, I could care less about what other people think. With all the steel that is on my jeep, i'm sure it is stronger than their vehicle.

Since my kids are now in boosters, I put in Corbeau 3 point seat belts just to lessen the chance of them sliding out. They love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I actually had someone leave a note on my car when i had the doors and top off of my TJ and the car seats in the back.
Stuff like that just pisses me off. People need to simply mind their own business. And, like others have said, I don't give a rat's ass what other people think.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts