Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theoretically how fast is too fast with the rear locker engaged? Assuming you are on loose terrain, gravel/dirt road and or muddy trails.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
theoretically as fast as you you could go in 4LO if in a rubicon and if it is an aftermarket locker that is not nanny controlled, pretty much as fast as you could go..

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Why would you be going fast with locked axles? If you can go fast, there is no reason to be locked in the first place.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you be going fast with locked axles? If you can go fast, there is no reason to be locked in the first place.
Hence the theoretically part. Although there could be a point where one or both were locked say while stuck in mud and the driver may spin the wheels faster than 10mph.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
heck guys with lincoln lockers run fast with them all the time. the only time it would be a problem is in high traction areas when cornering. going in a straight line or on loose surface should cause no issues. theoretically of course.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I accidentally engaged them on the highway for a split second. So 65mph. hahaha. Luckily, I was on a straight so both wheels were spinning the same speed.

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
There is no limit

Reactions: SoDakSooner

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I know I'm fairly new to Jeeping, but I guess I don't understand why there is an issue.

Firstly, a locker driving straight on the road shouldn't have much effect.

Secondly, even in a turn, shouldn't the locker handle the turn to manage wheel skipping?

I'm looking more from a perspective of a rear locker being engaged.

However, if a front locker is engaged, I'd imagine the locker should be able to handle some wheel skip. Granted, it'd probably inflict a few more forces than normal. Steering would probably be more difficult with front lockers engaged.

I'm sort of speculating and asking in hopes that it helps me, as well as helps the OP...

·
Registered
898 Posts
I accidentally engaged them on the highway for a split second. So 65mph. hahaha. Luckily, I was on a straight so both wheels were spinning the same speed.
Then you did not engage the locker. You were not in 4L on the highway, were you?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know I'm fairly new to Jeeping, but I guess I don't understand why there is an issue.

Firstly, a locker driving straight on the road shouldn't have much effect.

Secondly, even in a turn, shouldn't the locker handle the turn to manage wheel skipping?

I'm looking more from a perspective of a rear locker being engaged.

However, if a front locker is engaged, I'd imagine the locker should be able to handle some wheel skip. Granted, it'd probably inflict a few more forces than normal. Steering would probably be more difficult with front lockers engaged.

I'm sort of speculating and asking in hopes that it helps me, as well as helps the OP...

A Limited Slip Differential handles wheel skip, a locker makes the axle like a solid tube with no give. If you don't need to have the locker on, such as driving down a gravel road, then it is just an invitation for a problem. You won't gain any performance with it on at cruising speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
Then you did not engage the locker. You were not in 4L on the highway, were you?
I have been. The best part of the TD2 is the ability to engage the lockers even in 2wd.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have been. The best part of the TD2 is the ability to engage the lockers even in 2wd.
I have read that before on Superchip's site but couldn't imagine when that would be useful to me. But, if it is possible to do so 'accidentally' using the TD2, then I would consider that a serious design flaw.

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
No accident. You can lock the front or rear independent of each other in any mode, 2wd, 4hi or 4lo. When the snow is on the ground I'll either keep it in 2wd or 4hi and lock the rears.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Sand, mud, long loose hill climbs and doing power slides around corners. These are all real reasons to have the rear locker engaged at speed. Just because one person does not ever have a need for it does not mean it is stupid or pointless.

There are way weaker rear ends that are raced with spools that hold up so a JK with reasonably sized tires is not going to have any issues. Tires slip/scrub way easier then people think they do even on hard surfaces. (Excluding asphalt)

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
No accident. You can lock the front or rear independent of each other in any mode, 2wd, 4hi or 4lo. When the snow is on the ground I'll either keep it in 2wd or 4hi and lock the rears.
The transfer case is part-time only. While I am sure you wouldn't, just a reminder here that you shouldn't have it in 4hi when on a plowed, dry, street even if there is ice and 3' of snow on all the other streets.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Guys with lockers in drag cars go well over 100mph all the time. Just don't try to turn when you're going super fast, or make a sharp turn.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts