Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m taking the top off my Jeep ‘07 (not the doors) but I wanted to get a cargo lid to keep my tools safe or whatever else I happen to have with me. But what’s to stop somebody from climbing in and unlocking the doors from the inside to get into the trunk? Is there a way to make it so people can’t unlock the car from the inside?
I know I could also do a locking cargo drawer/ box but those are more expensive

·
Retired Moderator
104,249 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
The best thing that one can do, is have a motion alarm installed............

Reactions: KennaJK07

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I’m taking the top off my Jeep ‘07 (not the doors) but I wanted to get a cargo lid to keep my tools safe or whatever else I happen to have with me. But what’s to stop somebody from climbing in and unlocking the doors from the inside to get into the trunk? Is there a way to make it so people can’t unlock the car from the inside?
I know I could also do a locking cargo drawer/ box but those are more expensive
I'm not sure about the 07's but certainly on the later model jeeps the interior door lock buttons become non-functional a few minutes after the locking takes place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about the 07's but certainly on the later model jeeps the interior door lock buttons become non-functional a few minutes after the locking takes place.
I tested that and then unlocked immediately so I might not have waited long enough. I’ll try it again and wait longer this time.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I have an '08 JKUR with a Tuffy security box in the back. Once you lock the door with the key fob, it takes 15 seconds to arm the security system. Once it is armed, you need to use the key fob or the actual key to unlock the doors or the back gate. The lock switches in the cab will not function until the key fob is used. I run topless and/or naked during the summer months and make sure that I do not leave anything in the cab that I can't live without. There is always a risk associated with running topless from people that will steal or just vandalize the jeep. I personally haven't experienced it.

Reactions: KennaJK07 and fiend

·
Registered
507 Posts
worst case I would think you could disconnect the power to the lock actuator in the tailgate so it will only open with a key.

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
657 Posts
With just the cargo lid, can’t someone climb in and fold the seats down to get at your tools? I think you need the full security enclosure.

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
657 Posts
The Tuffy has a panel, behind the seats, that prevents what you describe.
The Tuffy is what I have, and would definitely recommend it. I was interpreting the OP as something less than that; more of a cargo cover.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My son climbed in thru the open top...then tried opening the door, and the horn/alarm went off. Had me wondernig.. "is that my jeep?". The longer it went off (eventually stopped) - I was more confident that it was :p Only parked in the front row at a crowded visitors center. Not like it bothered anyone. o_O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts