Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a Oxy/ Acetylene torch set up. Any recommendations on where to go to buy? Not looking for the cheapest set available, but more interested in quality and reliability.
Wasn't sure where to post this, so thought I'd go to the place with the most knowledgle group of people. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
My dad has the Harbor Freight torch. It works just fine. Gas is gas.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're looking for long term reliability i would spend money on a good set of regulators. I wouldn't expect to get 20 or 30 years out of anything less than the best regulator set up . Not hf junk or mickey mouse setup at home depo. If you buy 4 cheap setups in 20 years your not saving anything.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you're looking for long term reliability i would spend money on a good set of regulators. I wouldn't expect to get 20 or 30 years out of anything less than the best regulator set up . Not hf junk or mickey mouse setup at home depo. If you buy 4 cheap setups in 20 years your not saving anything.
I agree with this entirely. Buy good tools and you only have to buy them once.

If, however, you are on a tight budget or feel you will not use a higher priced set a lot, this may fill the bill for you. It is a Lincoln set, higher quality than what Harbor Freight sells.

Shop Lincoln Electric Cut Welder Kit at Lowes.com

Either way you will have to make arrangements for tanks.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I'm very selective with Harbor Freight. They have some junk, they have some good stuff. Ratchets and sockets are a no-no, but there are some things that are hard to screw up. Can you buy the regulators separately? I'd say go for the whole Harbor Freight setup and if the regulators go bad then get some good ones.

Anyway, Lincoln is a great brand. That's the welding wire I buy, even though I think Miller makes the best welding machines.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The torch hoses and regulators are the cheap part the tanks are where the money is. Especially if you get them from a weld shop. The last tanks I got from an auction for $15.00 Ea. Had no problem getting them filled.

·
Registered
890 Posts
LOL. Home Depot and Harbor Freight get recommended before Craigslist. Don't forget your local welding supply stores, (you know, the places that you are going to have to go to get the tanks refilled anyway....).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have victor brand torch and gauges. You will never buy another set if you take care of them
Ironman433, I'm with you. I had a set of Victor guages and torches. Lost them in a house fire in 2013 and haven't had a need to replace. Bye the way I picked up that set back in 1982 and never had a problem with any of the equipment.

I am a firm believere in "You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Correction, our torch setup WAS Harbor Freight, but the hoses went bad so dad bought new hoses and a tip. So only the tanks and case are the same. Don't know about the regulators.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I have victor brand torch and gauges. You will never buy another set if you take care of them
I've had mine for 30+ years and used my Dads for 10 years before that and my older Bro has and uses his to this day. Victor all the way! Oh I also used the Company's for 34 years, you can't buy any better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts