Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a D30. Now that spring is around the corner, I'm starting to plan the next stage of my build. I currently have a front D30 on a 2014 JKU Altitude with 3.73. I also run 35's. I've already gusseted the C's for the tires and was planning on sleeves when I regear to 4.56. The more I think about it, isn't it around the same cost to just buy a complete aftermarket D44 axle like a G2 with everything as to piece a current axle together? By the time you gear it, lock it, sleeves, truss, ball joints, etc, it seems more cost effective to spend a little more and get a beefier axle with everything installed and bolt it on. Anyone else have experience with the same idea?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Tera44 is like 190 pounds.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I would get the G2 44, like you said the price is right there and you will have a much stronger front end.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just did Currie RockJock44's front and rear. I think the cost was about $1000-$1500 more than just gearing, locking, sleeving, etc. I did upgrade to chromoly shafts and you have to run Currie master kits. Totally happy with this setup. Not so worried about bending and breaking stuff now.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I built a Mopar D44HD/J8 with an OX locker and 5.38 gears. It has heavier tubes then the stock D44 Rubi and is a direct swap for Rubi parts.

Depending how much it cost for labor or if you do the build yourself. The G2 ended up being about $1500 more.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "Not so worried about bending and breaking stuff now."
A great lesson it cost *me* a lot to learn over the years.

While I don't do these kinds of mods, in my own experience on other projects I've never saved money by "saving money".

Almost always those attempts have resulted in having to redo some other upgrade, at a less convenient time, and spending the additional money to do it right the SECOND time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
While I don't do these kinds of mods, in my own experience on other projects I've never saved money by "saving money".

Almost always those attempts have resulted in having to redo some other upgrade, at a less convenient time, and spending the additional money to do it right the SECOND time.

Good luck.
This is so true!

·
Registered
678 Posts
re: "Not so worried about bending and breaking stuff now." A great lesson it cost *me* a lot to learn over the years. While I don't do these kinds of mods, in my own experience on other projects I've never saved money by "saving money". Almost always those attempts have resulted in having to redo some other upgrade, at a less convenient time, and spending the additional money to do it right the SECOND time. Good luck.
I always had that fear in the back of my mind, "is today the day I snap an axle?". I am truly amazed at what my stock D30 went through. We wheel some of the toughest trails in SoCal and a trip to Moab and it hung in there. I know anything can break at any given time, but now I feel I can push my rig a little harder, and crawl bigger rocks!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I always had that fear in the back of my mind, "is today the day I snap an axle?". I am truly amazed at what my stock D30 went through. We wheel some of the toughest trails in SoCal and a trip to Moab and it hung in there. I know anything can break at any given time, but now I feel I can push my rig a little harder, and crawl bigger rocks!!
was your 30 locked and regeared?

·
Registered
678 Posts
was your 30 locked and regeared?
Nope, totally stock. It wasn't even sleeved or gusseted. I wheeled 35's on 3.21 gearing for the better part of year and a half. I just went to RJ44's, chromo shafts, lockers and 5.13's so I could run 37's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nope, totally stock. It wasn't even sleeved or gusseted. I wheeled 35's on 3.21 gearing for the better part of year and a half. I just went to RJ44's, chromo shafts, lockers and 5.13's so I could run 37's.

Interesting. I have 3.21's with 35s and of course am in this ever familiar predicament. I wheel pretty hard, not so much rock crawling but I do some not pass any mud. No issues so far. I think the 3.21 gears are super strong honestly and you put down way less torque, the axles and balljoints are probably weaksauce.

You can get a g2 core 44 front all together with 5.13/5.38 gears and a mechanical detroit locker for just under 4k. From 4 wheel parts. So if you bust it you pretty much can get it fixed/replaced no questions asked.

But That is alot of money when you still owe 20k on a jeep.

But but.... spending 750-1000$ now and having to throw it away when it grenades is just hard to swallow. :puke:

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Anyone know what the tube wall thickness is of the Core44? J8 tubes are either 5/16 or 3/8 but still 2.5" diameter so all bolt on upgrades still fit.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Interesting. I have 3.21's with 35s and of course am in this ever familiar predicament. I wheel pretty hard, not so much rock crawling but I do some not pass any mud. No issues so far. I think the 3.21 gears are super strong honestly and you put down way less torque, the axles and balljoints are probably weaksauce. You can get a g2 core 44 front all together with 5.13/5.38 gears and a mechanical detroit locker for just under 4k. From 4 wheel parts. So if you bust it you pretty much can get it fixed/replaced no questions asked. But That is alot of money when you still owe 20k on a jeep. But but.... spending 750-1000$ now and having to throw it away when it grenades is just hard to swallow. :puke:
I hear ya. I spent way more than I anticipated on the axle upgrade, but I wanted something I could trust, short of going to D60's. I wheel rocks almost every weekend, and I wanted that piece of mind. I've blown so much $$ on crap that I've already replaced. I definitely don't want to do axles twice. Oh, surprisingly my D30 shafts were in excellent condition. Ball joints, not so much.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you want to cut costs, and reuse some existing components, look at the Tera 30. A friend of mine has been running it for quite a while. Every bit as strong as a D44, the difference being the weaker ring and pinion on the D30. Just an option for you to consider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts