Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my lift, but can't decide on a tire. Any input would be great to help narrow down my decision.

Currently looking into: Toyo MT, Nitto Trail Grappler, Cepek Fun Country and Crusher, and Cooper Discoverer STT

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just received my lift, but can't decide on a tire. Any input would be great to help narrow down my decision.

Currently looking into: Toyo MT, Nitto Trail Grappler, Cepek Fun Country and Crusher, and Cooper Discoverer STT
If you want a helpful answer share more info. What year is your Jeep? What gears and transmission do you have? Where do you live and drive? What are your priorities for tires? Etc....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a 2014 JKU Sport, Waiting to install a 3" Rancho Suspension Lift. Live in Upstate NY, where the weather is constantly changing. I Plan to do some trail Riding, some Mud. Nothing too crazy. It will be my daily driver. I've chosen these off of aggressive look and availability.

Auto transmission, not sure on gearing offhand. I plan to mount these on 17X8.5 Wheels.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Really happy with my Toyo MT's. Had them on for about a year now. Wear is excellent, they balance well, and their very quiet for an MT. Only down side I've heard is that they are heavy, but since this is my first trip into bigger tires I don't know any better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My dad and Bro in Law have both loved their 35" Toyos. I hated my Coopers on my rig. Loud, out of round, ugly, not terribly good off-road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have coopers on mine and theyre not loud at all. Even with doors and top off I can barely hear them. Between the toyo mt, cooper stt, and nitto trail grappler (the three aggressive mud tires ive tried) the nittos are by far the loudest. Cooper STTs and toyos are about the same, except coopers are about half the price. I will say though that my STTs took A LOT of weights to balance but then again they are 37s. Toyos are heavy too if thats a concern. I had the toyo's on my truck (diesel) and they only lasted 30k miles. So that probably translates to around 50-60k miles on a jeep. Cant speak to the wear of the nittos or coopers as I just got them.

I'd say Cooper STTs for price, looks and performance. But im a bit bias

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Have a 2014 JKU Sport, Waiting to install a 3" Rancho Suspension Lift. Live in Upstate NY, where the weather is constantly changing. I Plan to do some trail Riding, some Mud. Nothing too crazy. It will be my daily driver. I've chosen these off of aggressive look and availability.

Auto transmission, not sure on gearing offhand. I plan to mount these on 17X8.5 Wheels.
Are you going to be running one set of tires for winter and one for summer? Snow and ice will be uhh.... Interesting with the tires you listed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also would look at the Cooper STTs. I had them on my rig for about 20,000 miles. Great daily driver tire and very good on slick and icy roads. The only reason I change was that they where a little stiff in the side wall and didn't flex around rocks with out really low air pressure. I also had a buddy that sold me his take off MTRs cheap with only 5000 miles on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't plan on having dedicated snow tires, never have and haven't had a problem yet on any of my previous vehicles.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just wondering if you've driven a similar vehicle with any comparable tires in the winter before?
I do have experience with the tera grapplers and toyo mts and would highly advise you to at least consider going with an all terrain... I know it gets said alot but from your description my advice would be to strongly consider good year duratracs, they are the best all around compromise tire out there in my opinion. I lived in southern Ontario for years and with the weather conditions I really don't think a M/T tire is the best choice for a year round tire unless you do ALOT of mud running in the summer and minimal driving in the winter... But that's just my .02

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used to run the Toyo MT on my F-350 and really liked them. Switched to the SST right now but only have about 5,000 miles on them but happy with the ride. On my Rubicon X I just got I am running BFG KM2 and really like them. As long as you dont go to aggressive unless you will being using them off road all of the time I would put any of those 3 tires on a Jeep and be happy with them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you checked out Treadwright Guard Dogs...? I just ordered a set of 35's, 4 tires for under $850... Not sure you can beat that deal anywhere...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Other then the noise ive heard nothing bad about the trail grapplers. My friend has them and he can tear through some mud! You might also look at pro comp xtreme mt2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm leaning towards the coopers.

Next question. What's the downside to running a 15" wheel? The 300$+ savings on tires make it real interesting. I also like the look. I've read with the proper backspacing it will work. But, what other issues might I run into.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If I were you and I did not plan on dedicated snow tires go I would go with Duratracs. That being said I run trail grapplers and love them. I live in Florida though. If I lived in areas that snow I would definitly run Duratracs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If I were you and I did not plan on dedicated snow tires go I would go with Duratracs. That being said I run trail grapplers and love them. I live in Florida though. If I lived in areas that snow I would definitly run Duratracs.
If you are willing to "settle" for duratracs consider the cooper stmaxx which has just as good traction as the duratracs but with a better sidewall.

I'm currently torn between the stmaxx stt and mtz myself

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maxxis Bighorns

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I'm leaning towards the coopers.

Next question. What's the downside to running a 15" wheel? The 300$+ savings on tires make it real interesting. I also like the look. I've read with the proper backspacing it will work. But, what other issues might I run into.
Really no downside to the 15s. Nearly all alloy wheels will fit but the steel wheels are hit or miss. If i went with 35s I would have gotten 15s for sure. Theyre cheaper, give you more sidewall for flex, and have a higher backspacing which makes it just slightly more stable.

The only downsides to 15" wheels in my opinion are looks and upgradability. I think they look good but some dont. The upgradeability comes when/if you decide you want 37s. From what ive seen VERY few companies make a 37" for a 15" wheel so you'd have to get new wheels. But if 37s are not in the future for a while, go with the 15's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts