Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently discovered while my Jeep was up on a log that both my driver and passenger tie rod end boots are torn. Every part shop and repair shop I've talked to said they will only sell and/or replace the whole tie rod end assembly, yet I'm finding online that companies are selling the boots alone for a few bucks.

Has anyone here gone about replacing ONLY the boot? Or is there a reason these shops have been saying to replace the whole tie rod end assembly?

TIA

·
Registered
132 Posts
If there is no play and if there is a grease fitting just pump some grease in every month or so. That will keep the dirt and water out. Works good. If no fittings then put on a rubber glove and smear grease around the boot area. Keeps water and dirt out. Works good. Then when there’s play change them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh your boot question. If the boots cheap and the proper one and you can do it sure. I wouldn’t as that’s to much to do. Just do the grease thing👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh your boot question. If the boots cheap and the proper one and you can do it sure. I wouldn’t as that’s to much to do. Just do the grease thing👍

My current boots are torn pretty bad, not sure if the grease method will work for this one...but correct me if I’m wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Usually by the time the boot is torn it's time to replace the tie rod. I would just replace them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just the ends. Called outer tie rod ends. If you do it and the new ends are the same in count the exposed number of threads on the old before you un-screw it and screw the new one in till the same number of threads are showing. Then your alignment shouldn’t change

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just the ends. Called outer tie rod ends. If you do it and the new ends are the same in count the exposed number of threads on the old before you un-screw it and screw the new one in till the same number of threads are showing. Then your alignment shouldn’t change

Thank you so much, very helpful and very glad I only need to replace the ends haha, now I just need to find a quality set of replacements

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yes, the ends, sorry. You'll need to get an alignment after.
He needs to check the alignment, yes.

However, if he replaces the ends, he can either count the number of turns and then do the same when reinstalling the end. He can also measure the stock length from the tie rod before removing the end and set the repaired tie rod to the same length.

Then check the alignment, which can be done with 2 people and a tape measure. Toe in on a JK is 1/8" to 1/4". It's the only adjustment you can make stock.

Why pay a shop over $100 for something you can do yourself?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

However, if he replaces the ends, he can either count the number of turns and then do the same when reinstalling the end. He can also measure the stock length from the tie rod before removing the end and set the repaired tie rod to the same length.

Then check the alignment, which can be done with 2 people and a tape measure. Toe in on a JK is 1/8" to 1/4". It's the only adjustment you can make stock.

Thank you this is extremely helpful, is there any general way to determine if I can just replace the torn boot versus having to replace the entire end?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Thank you this is extremely helpful, is there any general way to determine if I can just replace the torn boot versus having to replace the entire end?
Depends on the joint. Most of them, the boot is simply pressed on over a groove, however, some are not. If it's simply a groove in the housing, replacing a boot is simple. I know that on most of my stuff, the boot seats in the groove so boot replacement is easy if you can get the right size.

You will have to drop the joint to see if it's doable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Solid advice. I'll emphasize this is a good time to learn the home brew alignment technique (for toe at least). If you wheel, it's a darn good idea to be aligning several times a year. Which would add up quick if not DIY. Things get out of whack from offroading much more often than on a street car where you can get by between tire changes usually.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

Yeah, i always count the turns, but i also shell out the 80-100 for an alignment. If you're a little off it can eat those savings off your tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on the joint. Most of them, the boot is simply pressed on over a groove, however, some are not. If it's simply a groove in the housing, replacing a boot is simple. I know that on most of my stuff, the boot seats in the groove so boot replacement is easy if you can get the right size.

You will have to drop the joint to see if it's doable.

Is that something that can be pressed over the groove manually? Or would I need a machine press?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You can do it manually. The rubber stretches nicely, might need something like a Popsicle stick to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts