Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying my jeep I have semi regretted not holding out for one with a D44 rear end and have been contemplating 4.11 gears.

A couple days ago I found a really nice Ford 8.8 on craigslist for practically nothing, and could not let it go.
31 spline, LSD, Discs, and 4.1 gear ratio, the PO had even cut the brakes so far back into the explorer I should be able to use the stock ford brake lines and adapt in one of 3 places... So now I'm committing to beefing up my rear and going 4.1 all around.
(It will be slow, but I've already started buying new parts eventually leading to my artec truss kit, and a weekend of install)

now to the part Im torn about....

In all honesty I don't foresee me going anything larger than 33" for tires, Im pretty much set on going with BFG 32" M/T's in the spring which makes me think the D30 will be fine. I would like to get a limited slip for it, to match the rear.

but...

Will I be happy with my D30 up front?
Should I be looking for a D44?
are there other front axle swaps I should consider?

Is it going to be easier or cheaper to find a D30 that already has 4.1 and then sell my stock axles as a pair?

I really don't know what to do... lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
obidya said:
Will I be happy with my D30 up front?
Should I be looking for a D44?
are there other front axle swaps I should consider?

Is it going to be easier or cheaper to find a D30 that already has 4.1 and then sell my stock axles as a pair?

I really don't know what to do... lol
The D30 up front is more than enough for 33" tires. Finding a D44 to put up there would be difficult and expensive as they were only available in Rubicon's.

It should be easier and cheaper to find a D30 with 4.10's from a 4 cylinder at a junk yard. I don't know how much your stock axles are worth.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I just swapped mine out for 4.10's (D30) and put in an 8.8 in the rear I am running 33's and could not be happier. (well, except the 12 MPG that I seem to be getting, but will actually check it after everything settles in)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just found a HP D30 with 4.10! i got it from a guy who evidently rebuilds jeep parts for a living. Its in great shape, the gears look and feel perfect, its nice and clean ready for me to paint and bolt in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts