Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback or information on this? I really like the idea. In essence it is a scan tool application that can be downloaded for Android phones (and maybe iphones?) The app claims " View live OBD engine data on your Android phone - Connect to your vehicle ECU,Fully customisable dashboard screens - Design your own layouts and custom dials, use your own themes, retrieve Fault Codes (DTCs) and clear Check Engine lights - View fault descriptions using the built-in databases, & Check the performance of your vehicle with BHP / Torque / 0-60 & Quarter Mile widgets. One of my old co-workers purchased the app and the adapter for around $50. He absolutely loves it. He uses it on a 90's Toyota 4runner & a Toyota yaris. Has had no complaints.
I would like to purchase a scan tool... I realize you can buy the normal scan tools for around $35-$800 depending on what your needs are..

Just gathering information on products before I pull the trigger. Thanks everyone! Link below v

Torque OBD2 Wiki

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've heard great things. I have a similar OBDII reader and app for my iPhone. Pretty much pays for itself in one use and you can actually get accurate readings from things like your coolant temp.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You can get a reader for $20 on Amazon, I have & it's extremely useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought one and it was useful for diagnosing issues with my O2 sensors. I used it after a short road trip that resulted in about a gallon of coolant boiled over due to a faulty radiator cap. I also used it to monitor issues with misfires due to heat soak.

The OBDII reader I purchased was this one: BAFX it's about $23.

Torque is a pretty awesome app. I use it with the OBDII reader quite often just to make sure things are running well or if I am worried about overheating. I don't remember how much the app cost but with the above reader it shouldn't be more than 30 or 35.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got the BAXF & an Android 7" tablet a few months back as well as Torque Pro. It does a really good job. Can't read all items live but provides a good deal of basic info; a lot more than I can understand. I rode around earlier this afternoon with it operating just for the heck of it. It's neat

·
Registered
343 Posts
Does anyone have any feedback or information on this? I really like the idea. In essence it is a scan tool application that can be downloaded for Android phones (and maybe iphones?) The app claims " View live OBD engine data on your Android phone - Connect to your vehicle ECU,Fully customisable dashboard screens - Design your own layouts and custom dials, use your own themes, retrieve Fault Codes (DTCs) and clear Check Engine lights - View fault descriptions using the built-in databases, & Check the performance of your vehicle with BHP / Torque / 0-60 & Quarter Mile widgets. One of my old co-workers purchased the app and the adapter for around $50. He absolutely loves it. He uses it on a 90's Toyota 4runner & a Toyota yaris. Has had no complaints.
I would like to purchase a scan tool... I realize you can buy the normal scan tools for around $35-$800 depending on what your needs are..

Just gathering information on products before I pull the trigger. Thanks everyone! Link below v

Torque OBD2 Wiki
So the OBDlink lx scan tool is on sale for $49. They list a few "premium" software bundles....are they necessary for the average Joe?

Dumb Q, but does the '99 TJ use the OBD2?...my '96 Fleetwood motorhome uses OBD1

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
Torque pro is a good android app plus a Bluetooth dongle

All passenger cars and jeeps sold for legal on road use in USA 1996 and newer are OBD2

Trucks over something like 8200 or 8600 Max loaded vehicle weight did not fall under that mandate in 1996 and neither did motorcycles scooters and off road only vehicles including go carts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've heard great things. I have a similar OBDII reader and app for my iPhone. Pretty much pays for itself in one use and you can actually get accurate readings from things like your coolant temp.
I use an iPhone as well. What Reader are you using?

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
There is a similar Apple app but typically people have issues with pairing with Bluetooth dongle and end up needing a slightly more expensive wifi dongle to plug into the OBD2 port but Apple is typically a more expensive way to do things

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the OBDlink lx scan tool is on sale for $49. They list a few "premium" software bundles....are they necessary for the average Joe?

Dumb Q, but does the '99 TJ use the OBD2?...my '96 Fleetwood motorhome uses OBD1
Yes sir. I believe that your Jeep should have OB2. Most switched around 95'

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have one, don't really use it on my jeep besides checking codes, but it's very helpful on my F350 PSD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've picked one too, only used it to read a code on wife's Corolla. I could not use it on my ( now gone) '93 4 Runner since they did not have OBDII until 96.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Android and an $8 Bluetooth reader off of Amazon. Works great on my TJ and on my son's Mini.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts