Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here, I can only afford to do one project right now and, as you will see from the pics, the torque boxes need to be replace where the tub mounts and the transmission skid plate is also in need of replacement. I need some opinions on which to do first. Both will cost about $2000 each so I have to do this at different times. As you can see in the pic of the torque box, the rust has taken over and it is cracking so that seems to be the more pressing issue, but I would appreciate any input or advice you wold have on prioritizing these repairs. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The skid plate looks fine (and would cost WAY less then $2k to replace). I'd attack the tub rust first, as that will spread the longer it is ignored. Where's the $2k estimate on that coming from? I'd suspect an independent welding shop would quote something like $100/hr, and could knock that out in a day.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The skid plate looks fine (and would cost WAY less then $2k to replace). I'd attack the tub rust first, as that will spread the longer it is ignored. Where's the $2k estimate on that coming from? I'd suspect an independent welding shop would quote something like $100/hr, and could knock that out in a day.
I am looking to get new torque boxes put on, so they will need to remove the old ones and replace them, at the same time they would put new body mounting hardware on as that is looking ragged as well

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have the tools to do this nor the skill, so I am having a shop do mine, but they are getting the boxes from classic enterprise. I wish I had the facilities and skill to do it, it would save me a lot of cash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just throwing out another option here. We are forum members that came up with this product to repair our Jeep TJ. And now were selling them. They're very heavy duty and would certainly be a lot less than your $2000. Check out our website at rustrepairpatch.com

I've seen much worse rust, but I think you are smart to get it repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just throwing out another option here. We are forum members that came up with this product to repair our Jeep TJ. And now were selling them. They're very heavy duty and would certainly be a lot less than your $2000. Check out our website at rustrepairpatch.com

I've seen much worse rust, but I think you are smart to get it repaired.
I agree, that yours is a good option, and if I had the facilities and tools I would be all over yours, but since I am having to pay a jeep shop to do it, I might as well do it right. You have a good product, and it is perfect for the person who has room, welding skills and equipment, but for a guy like me with a few wrenches and no garage space, I have to go with other options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts