Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my torque converter is going bad, throwing PO741 code had tranny shop scan with tool while driving and at points it is 3 to 4 x of what is needed for proper engagement. They are willing to replace just torque converter but will not guarantee that is only problem.

My question is would you replace entire transmission or just torque converter? Any idea of how much more/less labor either way?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Do NOT start with repacing the torque converter. The last thing you want to do is replacing a good torque converter for another good torque converter and still have the issue.

There is other items to look into FIRST. Indeed your issue may be as simple as a faulty solenoid.

To start with a shop needs to drive with the scanner and see if the TCC is getting enabled. Also shop needs to try to command TCC on via the scan tools bi-directional functional test function and look for TCC slip rpm.

Was this done? Is this what you are referring for as 3-4 times over?

If this issue is not 'just' a bad TCC solenoid or the TCC 'simply' being not enabled for some other issues with your engine, then this may be some long road for you.

I have been through this on my another vehicle. Doing all the diagnosis and repair work myself and so even with paying for parts only, sometimes I wish I had just bought a remanufactured transmission.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, shop drove with me and tracked the data in real time, an example was the converter was supposed to be at 65 for full lock and it was at 220 and still slipping. The mechanic has 30 years of transmission experience, they have been doing transmissions since the 80's and it is their primary business. He is certain the torque converter is bad and the fluid I had changed 4 months ago is already brown in color, which is likely the material from the converter.

They gave me a quote of $1200 to replace converter or 4k for transmission, also gave me the option of buying my own refurbed tranny and they would install for $750.

You seem very knowledgeable, so I am looking at refurbs to see if I can get a newer tranny cheaper, but if I can't then replacing the torque converter seems to be the way to go?

Do NOT start with repacing the torque converter. The last thing you want to do is replacing a good torque converter for another good torque converter and still have the issue.

There is other items to look into FIRST. Indeed your issue may be as simple as a faulty solenoid.

To start with a shop needs to drive with the scanner and see if the TCC is getting enabled. Also shop needs to try to command TCC on via the scan tools bi-directional functional test function and look for TCC slip rpm.

Was this done? Is this what you are referring for as 3-4 times over?

If this issue is not 'just' a bad TCC solenoid or the TCC 'simply' being not enabled for some other issues with your engine, then this may be some long road for you.

I have been through this on my another vehicle. Doing all the diagnosis and repair work myself and so even with paying for parts only, sometimes I wish I had just bought a remanufactured transmission.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you are certain, that the torque converter is bad, then I think going full transmission replacement is a better way.

You did not say if this is a low or high mileage vehicle, but if mileage is not excessively high and assuming that your torque converter is indeed slipping, then there will be some other problem as well. In other words unless abused, transmission parts don't wear out prematurely. Instead they rather wear out because there was a pressure loss or other issue due to a related part failing.

So with that in mind I think rebuilding the transmission is the better way to go, especially if this transmission is already over 100k and you are planning to keep this vehicle for a lot longer.

The main question to ask will be, who is doing the rebuild and what is being replaced and what is not. There are many items to replace and one shops full rebuild may be another shops partial rebuild. So if you can still find a brand new transmission, it may be worth considering for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the second owner, picked it up with around 50k miles 4 years ago it now has a little over 80k, has a lift but only running 32's previous owner did not have a lift on it, but it was in Northern Canada and with the mods it had would say it was used but not abused. I do moderate wheeling nothing extreme. Transmission only started being an issue about 1 1/2 years ago and has been getting worse in the last 6 months.

Contacted a place in Michigan that specializes in Jeeps to see what he has new or gently used.

Thank you for your help, I'll update when I know what I am doing. Most likely will do full replacement for piece of mind as I intend to keep this for at least the next 5 years or longer if it doesn't become a maintenance problem.

If you are certain, that the torque converter is bad, then I think going full transmission replacement is a better way.

You did not say if this is a low or high mileage vehicle, but if mileage is not excessively high and assuming that your torque converter is indeed slipping, then there will be some other problem as well. In other words unless abused, transmission parts don't wear out prematurely. Instead they rather wear out because there was a pressure loss or other issue due to a related part failing.

So with that in mind I think rebuilding the transmission is the better way to go, especially if this transmission is already over 100k and you are planning to keep this vehicle for a lot longer.

The main question to ask will be, who is doing the rebuild and what is being replaced and what is not. There are many items to replace and one shops full rebuild may be another shops partial rebuild. So if you can still find a brand new transmission, it may be worth considering for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts