Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!
I am reinstalling my 4.2 back into my YJ with an auto trans. I have the flex plate on with the reinforcing plate between it and the bolts. It is the engine that came out as it was rebuilt. When I try to tighten the flex plate bolts the flex plate distorts. (I'm using a ratchet wrench). Its a task just to get the convertor close enough to start the bolts. Is there a train plug in the torque that I forgot about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I sold the house and need this finished.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Going with the assumption that the flexplate is properly installed, sometimes the torque converter trys to cock when installing the bolts. Try installing one bolt partially but only tighten it enough to where the flexplate just begins to move. Then, rotate flexplate to the next bolt and start another the same way. Often times this will un-cock the torque converter and then you can proceed as normal. Hopefully this works, whatever you do, don't force tighten the bolts or you will be putting a new flexplate in shortly thereafter.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the parts manual for your year Jeep. It should have an exploded view of the automatic transmission and torque converter.

You state that the reinforcing plate (it might also be called a spacer) is between the flex plate and the bolts. Do you mean between the flex plate and the block?

It might be a hassle, but I'd take the torque converter back off and make sure the flex plate is installed correctly. Then have an assistant help get the TC back in place. The TC should fit flush against the flex plate without having to draw it into place with the bolts.
There was a poster recently that couldn't get his standard trans to go back into place. He had a burr on his input shaft that was getting hung up on the clutch disc. You might have a similar thing on the snout of your TC.
I'd also check the FSM to see if the flex plate bolts and the TC bolts require threadlocker.

Let us know what you find and what works.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts